Chapter 19: The Banquet

Start from the beginning

It left the palace of Athens, pale in comparison. Though would Percy would prefer it hundred times over this cold, behemoth creation.

He didn't quite know what to expect at a banquet. Under the sea, they were always quite informal and filled with raucous laughter.

Human customs seem to shackle society rather than allow individuals to grow.

Everyone stood up as the Princess of Athens stroll into the banquet Hall, posture straight, and her head held high. She curtsied before the king and queen, and Percy followed suit, standing closely behind her.

King Zeus was a large man, with remnants of a scraggly white beard plastered on his face. His crown sat on his head, almost twice as large as his skull. His voice boomed across the hall as he greeted Annabeth with a dapper smile, unlike the sly one his wife extended as she shook the princess's hand.

Percy didn't have a good feeling about Queen Hera. Her porcelain skin and beautiful features could not compensate for the nasty smirk that remained rooted on her face.

He could recognise the royals seated beside them, as Princess Thalia and Prince Luke. Along with Prince Jason, whom he met at the ball and more recently at the fort.

"I'm quite honoured to be invited, Your Highness," Annabeth replied to the King, her voice echoing through the now quiet room, "You're looking well, Queen Hera," she smiled.

"Not as good as you look Annabeth dear," King Zeus guwaffed, placing a hand on his wife's shoulder.

Percy noted how she delicately shrugged it off, an inanimate smile on her face.

"Let us return to the festivities!" King Zeus clapped. And the court returned to quiet whispers as Annabeth took a seat next to Prince Jason, Percy taking a seat beside her.

"Who is the young lad, darling ?" Queen Hera asked, louder than she had to. She garnered the attention of a few courtiers, who stared at a scene.

"Oh," Annabeth breathed, "he's...a soldier. My brother suggested I have a guard with me at all times....you never know where enemies may lurk, isn't that right, Your Highness?" she replied diplomatically

"Mmm," the queen sneered, "then perhaps he could stand by the wall with all the other guards."

"I prefer to keep him close, If you do not mind," Annabeth said, taking a sip of wine.

The queen shook her head, turning back towards a meal after a lethal smile.

Almost as she could sense his hurt, Annabeth slipped a hand underneath the table, squeezing Percy's hand.

"You're more than a guard to me....a lot more," she whispered carefully, not looking in his direction, "Thank-you for joining me today."

Percy's lips quirked, and he gave her a discreet nod, his own eyes glued to his bread.

"Just as we suspected, Thalia and Luke are of different opinions of your visit as well," Prince Jason said into his soup, careful that no one could hear.

Annabeth laughed, squeezing Percy's hand tighter before letting it go, "Oh! Prince Jason! You are hilarious! You must tell me more, I implore you!"

"Thalia and Luke were both informed that you were here for the ball.....but some of the maids have heard different things, about a treaty of sorts," he continued nonchalantly, as If reciting a tale to a dear friend.

"visit me tomorrow....we can talk more freely," Annabeth whispered. She placed her hand on Percy's thigh.

She leaned over to Thalia and Luke, "Thalia? Luke? Would you join me for supper tomorrow? I would love to hear all about what you two have been up to," she smiled, with genuine excitement.

"Of course Annie, we'll have our page clear our schedule," Luke nodded, glancing towards his wife, who whispered something in her brother's ear.

The rest of the event was rather bland from Percy's perspective. The royals chattered on, and Annabeth and Jason began discussing books and diplomatic things.

It utterly began to bore Percy, who retreated into his own mind.

He focused on his thoughts, hoping to find some entertainment among the dull crowd.

'Call me to action, oh Prince of the Sea' whispered voices he never heard before. Percy glanced around the room, but nothing had changed.

He tried to calm his breathing, clenching his fists against the wooden chair.

Annabeth stirred beside him, moving her hand to cover his. She offered him a light smile,
running circles across his wrist.

Who are you?  he called back to it, trying to coax into a corner of his mind.

I am yours and you are mine, It rang, echoes of waves sounded within him. It was clearer now.

Like a hundred ancient voices, which spoke in a united whisper.

He glanced outside the minuscule window to see the ocean, humming against the coast.

Perhaps....no it could not be.

'Ah! It appears you found me! Though why do you resist my power so? ' asked the voice.

Please....just go away for now. I do not know what to do, he begged it.

'Very well, oh Prince. Your wish is my command ' replied the voices, before it dissolved.

The prince of the seven seas tried not to slump against his chair in relief.

He was able to control the ancient entity for now.....but for how long would be able to hold it off?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's me!
HI
IM THE LATE POSTER
ITS ME
(Posted 17/4/2023- 12:32am)

Stay tuned!!
—S