Chapter 21, strange things

Sky stared at Pai, devastated.

He couldn't believe it. He couldn't, and he blamed himself for actually thinking that this was the person who would accept him, finally.

But no. He had been wrong.

The pain it caused him was unbearable. It was like a creature howling and roaring and tearing him apart, piece by piece. It was like a hurricane of knives, striking and pummeling him with their sharp edges. It was like a tsunami, swallowing him whole, and drowning him in its cold, dark depths.

Sky couldn't think. He couldn't stand. He couldn't even breathe properly. Before he collapsed on the floor in a heap, he groped for the last, logical string of thought. And that though just happened to be "Run."

Sky felt like he'd rather die than see that look on Prapai's face again, so he turned around, and not even noticing the sheer strength with which he threw away the men holding him, ran to window, and smashed himself into it.

——————

Sky didn't remember much from the flight back home. Everything seemed too blurry and too painful. All he knew is that when he somehow found his way back to his condo, he slumped and fell on the cold terrace and started to pour his eyes out.

Sky didn't ever think there were enough tears in him before, but as he sobbed uncontrollably and pulled his knees up to his chest, he knew he was wrong. His heart was aching, and he felt like dying. Felt like drowning himself. Felt like cutting off his wings.

But Sky knew that he couldn't handle any more pain. He was weak, broken, smashed and shattered and thrown away like a piece of trash. He sensed that no matter how strong his will to get rid of the wretched feathers, he would not be able to. And so he streamed his heart and eyes out, crying and staining his clothes with salty hot tears. His whimpers were quiet, so no one heard the drops fall, but if Sky's heart had a voice, it would be screaming in agony and loss.

The weeks when Sky and Prapai were together were definitely the best weeks of Sky's life. He was treated and cared for, he was cherished and loved. And now the person who had made him so happy, who had brought him the comfort and warmth Sky never had, looked at him like a monster.

Once again, he had loved, and he had lost.

'Good for nothing monster.'

That's what he was.

'Inhuman scum'

Yeah...

'Things like you deserve to die in hell.'

Sure.

'How could I have ever loved you?'

I don't know.

'You horrible creature—'

Sky felt something tug on his consciousness. At first, he was too crushed to care, and couldn't decipher what he was feeling, but then the tugging came stronger, and Sky was able to feel it.

A scared, angry, and trapped feeling.

Primarily, Sky didn't care. He didn't care about anything anymore. But the pulling strengthened, and the feeling was becoming overwhelming.

Sky thought that these were his own, strange thoughts, and that his mind was slowly going insane, but then, he felt something else. A different body, a different person.

"Prapai!" Sky thought with a gasp.

He could feel the other. And Sky knew that there was something wrong. Something terribly, terribly wrong.