***Shorts #3: Dipper's Guide to the Unexplained

#42: The Tooth (Takes place after "Bros Before Dinos")

"Welcome to Dipper's Guide to the Unexplained, anomaly #42: The Tooth:"

Y/n moved the camera to the said tooth, half sunk into the ground, but the enormous size was hard to miss. Mabel was poking it with a stick. "I'm here for scale!"

"I found it yesterday when I was, uh, practicing..." Dipper trailed off, shaking his head. "Strangely human, but it's gigantic! It's bigger than any fish or lake monster I've ever seen. And we're gonna find out where it came from!"

Y/n had seen this exact tooth before– from the crown to the root. She, Ford, and F were on an expedition when they discovered the human-like tooth on a random lake. She could even remember F using a chisel (and some dental floss) to break free a few pieces.

The three went to the Tate McGucket– one who attends to the lake– for the supplies to go on the adventure. "Sir, have you noticed a large tooth landing on the shore of the lake this morning?"

"Tooth?" he asked, his back to the camera. "No, don't know nothin' about a tooth."

"We were thinking about paddling out on that lake tonight," Dipper said casually.

"Bit of friendly advice, kids: You see bubbles on that lake, run."

"What, why?"

Tate turned around and leaned forward on their faces, screaming, "Enough questions, get that camera out of here!" He smacked the camera away, and if it wasn't for Y/n's vice grip, it would have been on the ground already.

Night fell on the twins plus Y/n. She held the camera again as she panned it over to the two. "We're here at the lake to investigate. I brought Y/n and Mabel for backup."

Mabel grinned. "And I brought Bear-O, my adorable childhood puppet." She lifted Bear-O to her arms and made its mouth move. "Hi-yo! Ain't that right, honey? Did somebody say... honey?" Her voice was gone deep as she used it for the puppet's voice.

The girl laughed, holding the worn puppet close to her. Meanwhile Dipper deadpanned, "Nope. Creepy. Bear-O's creepy. Everyone hates Bear-O."

"What? Dipper, you haven't even asked for Y/n's opinion! So, Y/n, what do you think of my good ol' friend, Bear-O?"

"Uh, next question?"

Mabel pouted slightly. "Aw come on!" She smiled again. "You'll see! You, Y/n, me, and Bear-O, are the adventure team of a lifetime!"

After much time spent on persuading Mabel, eventually Bear-O had to be left on the island which didn't make Mabel very happy at that decision. She remained silent, glaring deeply as she rowed.

Y/n was rowing along with Mabel, while Dipper was holding the camera this time. He pointed the camera at Bear-O being left behind as if he was mocking the bear.

He continued talking about the investigation. "Okay. something out there left that tooth, and we're gonna find out what it is!"

Y/n felt excited– she hasn't been for a long time. It was like reliving her memory but with a different trio this time around. She, Ford, and F had only documented the stray tooth before going on their merry way, but with the twins, they could go and take a closer look.

Eventually, the boat arrived in the middle of the lake and they stopped rowing to inspect. Dipper handed the camera back to Y/n, ignoring the touches that they exchanged.

"What are we supposed to be looking for?" Mabel whispered into the night.

Dipper brought out a flashlight, pointing it at the vast expanse of water surrounding them. "I don't know, just look out for bubbles in the water."