Chapter 28

Later when it's night, the dwarves are sneaking through the town toward the armory, hiding from watchmen. They hide behind a boat as two watchmen walk by.
  "Shh! Keep it down."
  "As soon as we have the weapons, we make straight for the mountain. Go, go, go!" Thorin tells the group
  After the watchmen are gone, Thorin points to Nori, who gets a running start and runs up a pyramid of dwarves who have pressed themselves against the walls of the city armory. He can get high enough that he can reach a second-floor window and dive through.
  "Next."
  Bilbo does the same thing as Nori. Soon, several dwarves are in the armory. Rosa looks around anxious and worried
  "Rosa Lass you ok?"
  Rosa doesn't get a chance to respond as they hear a terrible noise from inside, and everyone both inside and outside looks around warily. In the distance, the watchmen cry out, and running footsteps approach.
   "Run!"
  The dwarves that were outside begin to run, but are stopped by two watchmen pointing pikes at them. Bilbo and the dwarves in the armory grab weapons, but several other guards point pikes at them too. Braga, the captain of the guard, is holding Kili with a dagger to his throat. Kili looks sadly and guiltily at Thorin.
  Not soon after the company was taken in front of a building as Alfrid pokes his head out of the door to the Master's mansion to see the commotion. He sees the soldiers dragging the dwarves to the mansion, with multitudes of townspeople following behind.
  "Get off of me!"
  Lots of indistinct muttering and yelling. Alfrid closes the door and goes to get the master. All of the dwarves are arranged under guard in the town square before the doors of the mansion. As guards open the doors of the mansion.
  "What is the meaning of this?" The man asks storms out, still putting on his coat.
  "We caught 'em stealing weapons, sire." the captain soldier 
  "Ah. Enemies of the state, then."
  "This is a bunch of mercenaries if ever there was, sire."
  "Hold your tongue." Dwalin tells them  "You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal; this is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!" Dwalin gestures at Thorin
  "We are the dwarves of Erebor," Thorin says stepping forward
  The crowd whispers in shock and recognition, and people crane their heads to see better.
  "We have come to reclaim our homeland. I remember this town and the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at the harbor, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake! This was the center of all trade in the North." Thorin speaks earnestly to the crowd, and the people nod in agreement. "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!"
  The people cheer and clap, and the Master looks on, calculating what his saying.
  "Death! That is what you will bring upon us. Dragon-fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all." Bard shouts pushing through the crowd
  This gets the people to whisper anxiously.
  "You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this; If we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!"
  "Why should we take your word? Who can vouch for your character?" Alfred speaks up
  "Me I'll vouch for him. Now I've traveled far with these dwarves and if Thorin Oakinshield gives his word he'll keep," Bilbo speaks up rise his hand up a bit  The people start shouting in excitement and they applaud.  Thorin smiles at Bilbo.
  "All of you! Listen to me! You must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale?!" Bard shouts to them, The people quiet down and shake their heads sadly As Bard continues "Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?!"
  The people shout back a no. 
  "And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a mountain king so riven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!"
  The crowd gets louder, but then the Master steps forth. "Now, now, we must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame. Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast!" He points accusingly at Bard, and the crowd begins to clamor.
  This statement has Bard to look away, Thorin looks at him in shock and anger.
  "It's true, sire. We all know the story: arrow after arrow he shot, each one missing its mark."
  Bard looks around as the crowd yells angrily at him. He then strides forward and speaks to Thorin earnestly. "You have no right, no right to enter that mountain!"
  "I have the only right," Thorin tells him then turns and faces the Master. "I speak to the Master of the men of the Lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people?"
  The people quietly watch in anticipation.
  "What say you?"
  The Master thinks for several seconds, then smiles and points his finger at Thorin. "I say unto you...welcome! Welcome and thrice welcome, King under the Mountain!"
  The Master opens his arms in welcome, and the crowd erupts in cheers. Bard looks on silently. Thorin climbs up a few steps and turns to face the audience; the people hug each other in excitement and joy. Thorin and Bard stare at each other.