Prepare For Battle

At the Helm's Deep courtyard, in a mass organized movement, the people gather their belongings and trudge together into hiding. Soldiers assist the elderly and infirm in getting themselves into the caves. Aragorn works his way through the throng and explains the plan to Legolas, "We'll place the reserves along the wall. They can support the archers from above the gate." Desert stands next to Legolas and studies Aragorn, "Aragorn, you must rest. You're no use to us half alive."

Aragorn pays Desert no mind as a voice breaks across the throngs. Aragorn looks in its direction. "Aragorn! Aragorn!" Éowyn runs through the crowds towards him. She looks at him angrily, "I'm to be sent with the women into the caves." Aragorn nods, "That is an honorable charge." Éowyn frowns, "To mind the children, to find food and bedding with the men return. What renown is there in that?"

Aragorn grasps her hands, reassuring, "My lady, a time may come for valor without renown. Who, then, will your people look to in the last defense?" Éowyn starts pleading, "Let me stand at your side." Aragorn shakes his head, "It is not in my power to command it." He turns away from her as she looks after him unmoved. Éowyn calls out, "You do not command the others to stay! They fight beside you because they would not be parted from you." She desperately steps closer, "Because they love you!"

Aragorn stands before her, looking at her silently. She averts her gaze, "I'm sorry." She pushes past him and follows the people into the caves. Desert turns to see the King approach her, "Go to the caves. You will be safe there." He turns and walks away. Desert glances at Legolas knowingly and then move away from him, getting her bow and sword.

Once night fell, the women and children comforted each other as they trudged their way into the caves. They regard their new home with fear and doubt. Éowyn studies her task grimly. The expansiveness of the caves holds thousands of Rohirrim. The caves seem to go on forever. Tearful goodbyes from wives, mothers, young siblings, and children, as even old men and boys are drafted into service and taken away from their families to fight. Swords are passed out to the miserable army.

Aragorn examines one of the swords, only to toss it away, discouraged, "Farmer, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers." Gimli nods glumly, "Most have seen too many winters." Legolas watches them, "Or too few." Aragorn nods miserably. The new soldiers continue to prepare. Desert approaches, her hood covering her face, listening to Legolas, "Look at them. They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes."

Everyone around them turns to look at Legolas. He turns away, angrily speaking in elvish, "Boe a hûn... neled herain... dan caer menig!" Aragorn looks at Legolas with as much confidence as he can muster, "Si beriathar hýn. Amar nâ ned Edoras." Legolas glares at the Ranger, "Aragorn, Men i ndagor. Hýn ú-... ortheri. Natha daged aen!" Aragorn explodes at Legolas in resolute, "Then I shall die as one them!" Their gaze locks for a moment.

Aragorn breaks and walks away. Legolas makes to follow him, but Gimli and Desert put a hand on his arms. Gimli softly speaks to the elf, "Let him go, lad. Let him be." Desert pulled her hood down further as Théoden's soldiers opened the doors outside. Keeping silent, Willow Maid follows the elf and dwarf. Legolas and Gimli look at the girl standing between them, "You sure you want to be out here? Théoden might receive word of you being out here." Gimli whispers. Willow Maid tilts her head at him, "I'm sure." She muttered quietly. Legolas sighs and returns his gaze to the wall, "If I told you to go back, you might make that old threat you made in Laketown accurate."

"You know me so well." Desert mutters with a chuckle. Gimli frowns, "What threat?"

"If I was told to stay behind, I would kick him in the leg." Legolas rolls his eyes at Desert's answer and keeps moving.

Gimli snorts in amusement as all the soldiers stand at the battlements. The plains before the Deep are quiet... like the calm before a storm. Everyone waited as Gamling approached King Théoden in the Chambers. "Every villager able to wield a sword has been sent to the armory." Théoden stands silently- unarmed and armourless.

"My lord?"

Théoden quietly speaks, "Who am I, Gamling?" Gamling answers matter-of-factly, "You are our king, sire."

"And do you trust your king?"

Gamling stands at Théoden's side with his armour, unmoving, "Your men, my lord, will follow you to whatever end." Slowly, Gamling wraps the armour around Théoden.

"To whatever end..."

Gamling attaches Théoden's armour, piece by piece. Lances held high like an enormous porcupine, the Uruk-hai army continues its steady march across the Plains Of Rohan to Helm's Deep. Théoden continues speaking, "Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?" A soldier sharpens a sword on a whetstone... Old men collect spears on their way to fight. "They have passed like rain on the mountains," Théoden mutters.

An oversized helmet is placed on the head of a boy.

"Like wind in the meadow." An axe is handed to a frightened boy, who takes it with trepidation. "The days have gone down in the west..." The Uruk-hai army marches ever closer. "...behind the hills..." A boy dressed in full chain mail, too large for him, takes a shield and moves to fight. "...into Shadow." Théoden finishes.

The Uruk-hai army closes in on Helm's Deep and begins to take their positions. Théoden in his hall, still standing still as Gamling adjusts his armour. "How did it come to this?" The King straightens up, and Gamling stands to the side of Théoden in the empty room. They are ready.

(And they should be... Three hundred... against ten thousand)

(They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras)

(Aragorn, we are warriors. They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die)