Mines Of Moria Part 2

"Ah! It's that way." Gandalf gestures to one of the passageways. Everyone stood up and smiled.

"He's remembered!" Merry grins, getting on his feet. "No, but the air doesn't smell so foul down here. If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose." Gandalf grabs his hat and the Fellowship heads down the left-hand passage, and before long they come to a more open space.

Gandalf raises his staff, "Let me risk a little more light." His staff illuminates a grandiose hall of stone lined with tall pillars and arched ceilings as far as the eye can see. Members of the Fellowship, including Gimli, react in awe.

"Behold the great realm and dwarf city of Dwarrowdelf," Gandalf spoke. Sam gazes around, "Now there's an eye-opener, and no mistake."

The Fellowship walks forward through the hall. Gimli sees a ray of sunlight shining through the Chamber of Mazarbul. Corpses lay scattered about, "Haugh!"

"Gimli!"

Gimli pays no heed to Gandalf but runs into the chamber. He stops and kneels by a crypt, "No! No! No!" He sobs.

Boromir moves forward and places his hand on Gimli's shoulder. Gandalf translates the runes on the tomb, "'Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria.' He is dead then. It's as I feared."

Gimli continues to wail and Desert lowers her head. She turns her eyes to see Gandalf giving his staff and hat to Pippin, bends down, and takes a large and battered book off the ground. Her eyes widened, Dwalin is alive. If he wasn't that book would be in his hands. Gandalf opens it and clears the dirt from its pages.

Legolas turns to Aragorn, "We must move on, we cannot linger!"

Gandalf starts reading, "'They have taken the bridge, and the second hall. We have barred the gates but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums, drums in the deep.'" He turns the page as Pippin backs up, looking around, "'We cannot get out. A Shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out... They are coming.'"

Pippin sees a corpse sitting by a stone well with an arrow in its chest. Curiously, he reaches out and lightly touches the arrow. The arrowhead breaks off from the rest of the corpse, causing first the skull, then the body, then the chain and bucket to go over the side of the well and drop far below, its noise echoing from hall to hall. He winces at each new wave of noise; Gandalf stares at Pippin as he closes his eyes. Then silence. The Fellowship begins to relax.

Gandalf slams the book shut, "Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!" He snatches his staff and hat from Pippin. Desert winces at the pained expression on the young hobbit's face.

Just then, drums echo up from deep below. Terror creeps into their faces as loud screeching is heard.

"Orcs!" Legolas warns. He grabs Desert, pushing her behind him, "If you can't get your roots out to help, hide!"

Boromir goes to the door to have a look. Arrows are shot and hit the door near his face. He leans back in surprise.

Aragorn turns to the hobbits, "Get back! Stay close to Gandalf!" Aragorn drops his torch, runs to Boromir, and closes the doors. A troll can be heard just outside.

Boromir looks at the ranger in disbelief, "They have a cave troll."

Legolas tosses weapons to Boromir and Aragorn to help blockade the door. Everyone draws out their weapons; Gimli leaps atop Balin's tomb and brandishes his axe, "Aarrgghhh!!! Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!"

Orcs begin breaking the door down. Legolas and Aragorn shoot at them through the holes in the door. The orcs break through and the battle begins. Desert cocks an arrow and fires at an Orc, killing instantly. More Orcs burst in and the hobbits give out a battle cry, trying to attack the foul creatures. Desert sees an Orc swing an axe at her head.