The Prancing Pony

Frodo rushes about, hastily packing for his journey.

"You must leave and leave quickly."

Frodo glimpses at Gandalf, "Where? Where do I go?"

"Get out of the Shire. Make for the village Bree."

"Bree. What about you two?"

"I'll be waiting for you, at the Inn of the Prancing Pony. Desert is going with you."

"And the Ring will be safe there?"

"I don't know Frodo. I don't have any answers. I must see the head of my order. He is both wise and powerful. Trust me Frodo, he'll know what to do. You'll have to leave the name of Baggins behind you, for that name is not safe outside the Shire. Travel only by day. And stay off the road."

"I can cut across country easily enough." Frodo adjusts his bag.

Gandalf smiles at him, "My dear Frodo. Hobbits really are amazing creatures! You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years, they can still surprise you." He hears rustling of the leaves, "Get down!"

Frodo drops to the floor. Gandalf goes to the window, peers out cautiously then gives the bushes a whack with his staff. Desert takes Frodo's hand.

"Oooff!!"

Gandalf drags Sam up by his hair and plops him onto the table, "Confound it all Samwise Gamgee! Have you been eavesdropping?!"

"I have been droppin' no eves sir, honest. I was just cutting the grass under the window there if you follow me." Sam gasps.

"A little late for trimming the verge don't you think?"

"I heard raised voices."

"What did you hear?! Speak!!!!"

Sam flinches, "N-n-n-nothing important. That is I heard a good deal about a Ring and a Dark Lord and something about the end of the world but... Please, Mister Gandalf sir, don't hurt me. Don't turn me into anythin' --unnatural."

Gandalf locks eyes with Desert and Frodo, "No, perhaps not. I have thought of a better use for you..."

The following morning, Desert stayed in step with Gandalf as he yells over his shoulder, "Come along Samwise, keep up! Be careful both of you. The enemy has many spies in his service: birds, beasts." He turns to Frodo, "Is it safe?" Frodo pats his vest pocket. "Never put it on, for the agents of the Dark Lord will be drawn to its power. Always remember, Frodo, the Ring is trying to get back to its master. It wants to be found." Gandalf warns before riding off, he turns to Desert, "Be careful, be cautious. I know you fought in the battle with five armies, Willow, but it's still treacherous." He whispers before leaving the hobbits and Desert in the forest.

They trek along the countryside and streams and walks along the cornfield. Sam following behind, suddenly stops, "This is it."

Frodo turns, "This is what?"

"I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been."

Frodo approaches Sam reassuringly, "Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say: 'It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.'"

Desert began setting up camp for the night as the hobbits got food prepared, knowing a Ringwraith, on a ridge, is looking over the Shire.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sam emerges from a field of corn, onto a small path. He looks back and forth, not seeing Frodo or Desert in either direction, and starts to panic, "Mister Frodo? Frodo! Frodo!"