Travel To Helms Deep

The next day, Aragorn spots two children on a horse heading to the gate. Desert walked up to him and saw the boy fall. The woman turns and calls out to Háma, "Open the gate!" The guards opened the gate and brought the children inside. Desert looks at Aragorn and sighs, "They had no warning..."

Éothain and Freda sit at a table in the Great Hall, ravenous eating. Éowyn stands and looks to Théoden as he sits on his throne with Gandalf at his side... his head buried in his hand in deep thought. Éowyn brushes Freda's hair, "They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go."

Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli look at each other, concerned. Éowyn continues, "Rick, cot, and tree." Freda looks up at Éowyn, "Where's Mama?" Desert stood near the children and turned to comfort Freda. Gandalf turns to Théoden, "This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent, for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head-on." Gandalf leans forward and puts a hand on Théoden's chair. Théoden looks at him warily. "Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight." Gandalf spoke.

Desert stands up and walks up to the throne, "You have 2000 good men riding north as we speak." Aragorn nods and crosses his arms, "Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king." Théoden gets out of his chair and walks to the center of his Hall, "They will be 300 leagues from here by now. Éomer cannot help us." Gandalf moves forward to speak, but Théoden halts him, "I know what it is that you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." Aragorn removes his pipe and leans forward to speak, "Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not."

Desert stands next to Legolas and watches them; Théoden speaks indignantly, "When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." Gandalf frowns, "Then what is the king's decision?" Théoden turns away from them; concern etched on his face. Desert knew what going to happen. She grabs Legolas's hand, and the two move out of the Hall.

"Eru?" Legolas mutters. Desert turned to the Elf and whispered, "We will be heading to Helm's Deep. That is Théoden's decision." The Prince steps closer to her, "Are you sure?" He whispers back. Willow Maid nods her head, "Yes." Instantly, Aragorn appears around the corner, "Théoden made his decision. We are to go to Helm's Deep." Legolas glances at Willow Maid with a raised brow. The young woman turns to Aragorn, "As soon as possible?"

"Yes."

Háma stands in the midst of the city delivering the King's decision, "By order of the king, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need." The people of Edoras gather their things together. The Four Hunters and Gandalf walk among them. Gimli grumbles, "Helm's Deep. They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight."

The five enter a Rohirrim Stable and continue walking past the horses of Rohan. Gimli continues grumbling, "Who will defend them if not their king?" Desert looks down at the dwarf, "He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past." Aragorn and Gandalf approach the stable of Shadowfax. Gandalf turns to the hunters, "There is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre."

Gandalf turns to Aragorn, "Théoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold." Aragorn holds Gandalf's gaze resolutely, "They will hold." Gandalf turns from Aragorn to Shadowfax. Gently, he strokes the mighty horse's coat, "The Grey Pilgrim. That's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of Men I've walked this earth, and now I have no time."

Aragorn opens the stall door as Gandalf mounts Shadowfax, "With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east." Aragorn nods, "Go." Legolas grabs Desert's waist as he and Gimli jump out of the way, with Gandalf blasting out of the stable at top speed. Gandalf rides across the open plains as fast as Shadowfax can carry him.

Desert looks down to see Legolas still holding her waist. Her cheeks flushed and slowly looked up to see him staring at her. Desert felt herself get lost in the icy blue irises of the elf as Gimli and Aragorn gave each other a knowing look. The dwarf suddenly clears his throat, getting their attention, "Are you two going to kiss or what?" Desert gasps, and Legolas quickly removes his hands from her. Aragorn whacks the dwarf on the head, "Gimli!" Desert looks away from the three males and calmly walks out of the stables, hearing Legolas curse in elvish at the dwarf and Aragorn laughing his head off.

Willow Maid quickly glimpses over her shoulder to see Legolas chase a frightened Gimli out of the stables and Aragorn gripping his sides from laughter. The woman slowly allows a smile to form on her lips and daydreams of her and Legolas. "If it would actually happen, I'd be happy..." She murmured.