Is It Secret? Is It Safe?

Frodo bursts in the door, calling for his Uncle, "Bilbo! Bilbo!" Frodo sees the Ring and stoops to pick it up.

Frodo notices Gandalf smoking by the fireplace, and approaches him as Gandalf mumbles, "Precious..."

"He's gone, hasn't he? He talked for so long about leaving. I didn't think he'd really do it. Gandalf?"

Gandalf turns to see Bilbo's ring in the hobbit's hand, "Hmm. Bilbo's Ring. He's gone to stay with the elves. He's left you Bag End..." He holds an envelope open; Frodo slips in the Ring and Gandalf seals the envelope, "...along with all his possessions. The Ring is yours now. Put it somewhere out of sight." Gandalf gets up to leave.

"Where are you going?" Frodo questions. Desert stood and watches Gandalf grab his things, "There are some things that I must see to."

"What things?" Frodo follows Gandalf to the door. "Questions. Questions that need answering!" Gandalf replied.

"But you've only just arrived! I don't understand."

Gandalf looks back at Frodo, "Neither do I. Keep it secret. Keep it safe. Desert, stay with Frodo."

"Yes, Gandalf."

Gandalf leaves Bag End. Frodo looks at the envelope in his hand, containing the Ring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gandalf rides to the outskirts of Mount Doom to observe the activity that goes on. He then heads to Minas Tirith to study its ancient scrolls; therefore, finding interesting facts.

'Year 3434 of the Second Age. Here follows the account of Isildur, High King of Gondor, and the finding of the Ring of Power. It has come to me, the One Ring. It shall be an heirloom of my kingdom. All that should follow in my bloodline shall be bound to its fate for I will risk no hurt to the Ring. It is precious to me, though I buy it with a great pain. The markings upon the band begin to fade. The writing, which at first was as clear as red flame, has all but disappeared. A secret now that only fire can tell.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the Shire, a Hobbit is chopping wood in front of his home. His dog barks incessantly, then backs off, whimpering, as it retreats into the house. A Ringwraith appears on its horse, "Shire. Baggins."

The Hobbit backs up fearfully, "Baggins. There are no Baggins 'round here. They're up in Hobbiton, that way." He points and dashes back into the house.

The Ringwraith gallops off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Frodo and Sam stagger to Bag End after a night at The Green Dragon. Desert follows behind as Sam says goodnight.

"Goodnight Sam." Frodo comes up the steps, opens the door, and notices that the house seems to have been broken into. Desert tenses up just as Gandalf grabs their shoulders from behind.

"Is it secret?! Is it safe?!"

Frodo opens a chest, searches through it, and finds the envelope, "Ah!" Gandalf snatches the envelope and to the fire.

Frodo gets alarmed, "What are you doing?"

Gandalf gets a pair of tongs and picks up the Ring, "Hold out your hand Frodo, it's quite cool." He drops the Ring on Frodo's hand, "What can you see? Can you see anything?"

"Nothing. There's nothing..." Frodo says, making Gandalf seem relieved, "...wait. There are markings. It's some form of Elvish. I can't read it." Frodo uttered.

Gandalf's smile falls, "There are few who can. The language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here."

"Mordor?" Desert whispers.

Gandalf turns to the two, "In the common tongue it says, 'One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'"

The three gathered at the table, staring at the ring, "This is the One Ring. Forged by the Dark Lord Sauron in the fires of Mount Doom. Taken by Isildur from the hand of Sauron himself." Gandalf uttered.

"Bilbo found it. In Gollum's cave."

"Yes. For sixty years the Ring lay quiet in Bilbo's keeping, prolonging his life, delaying old age. But no longer Frodo. Evil is stirring in Mordor. The Ring has awoken. It's heard its master's call."

"But he was destroyed. Sauron was destroyed." Frodo mentions.

The Ring whispers, "Isildur..." Alarmed, Gandalf, Desert, and Frodo look at the Ring.

"No, Frodo. The spirit of Sauron endured. His life force is bound to the Ring and the Ring survived. Sauron has returned. His orcs have multiplied. His fortress of Barad-Dur is rebuilt in the land of Mordor. Sauron needs only this Ring to cover all the lands of a second darkness. He is seeking it. Seeking it, all his thought is bent on it. The Ring yearns above all else to return to the hand of its master. They are one, the Ring and the Dark Lord. Frodo, he must never find it."

"Alright, we put it away. We keep it hidden. We never speak of it again. No one knows it's here, do they? Do they Gandalf?" Frodo turns to the two, to see them stare at him grimly.

"There is one other who knew that Bilbo had the Ring. I looked everywhere for the creature Gollum. But the enemy found him first. I don't know how long they tortured him. Amidst the endless screams and inane babble, they discerned two words: 'Shire!!! Baggins!!!'"

"Shire. Baggins. But that would lead them here!" Frodo panics. Desert knew at this moment, the Ringwraiths are on their way.

"Take it Gandalf! Take it!" Frodo holds the ring out.

"No, Frodo, no."

"You must take it!"

"You cannot offer me this Ring!" Gandalf warns.

Frodo gazes at them both, "I'm giving it to you!"

"Don't tempt us Frodo! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand Frodo, I would use this Ring from the desire to do good. But through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine."

"But it cannot stay in the Shire!"

"No! No, it can't."

Frodo lowers his hand, "What must I do?"

Desert gazes at the hobbit, "There is only one thing to do."