CHAPTER 41 : DEBBIE

Hello, beautiful people. Sorry, I've been swamped with a lot of shit. Have they gone away? Nope. Am I gonna keep writing through them? Yes, of course. So again, sorry for the late update. It's been a little over a week.

The heavy footsteps behind me got even closer and I had to pick up my pace. And I was already at my peak speed, but fear had a way of making you want to do the impossible. Like pulling a mountain. Or walking on water. Or outrunning a vicious beast trying to get you.

The broken chains on my feet clattered noisily as they hit the wet ground with every swift step I took. How they got there, and on both my wrists, I didn't know. I didn't even know how I got into this precarious situation but here I was, running for my life with my heart in my mouth. I was so afraid, the cold air didn't make me shiver despite my state of stark nakedness.

Several red, glowing eyes dotted the dark alleys on both sides like spectators trying to witness the conquest of the beast. I was losing hope but my legs wouldn't stop moving, so I just kept on running.

The asphalt beneath my feet started to crack and eventually a big hole was created. I was about to leap across it when a hand sprang up from the hole. I screamed as the hand clamped my right foot midair and I fell to the floor. I knew there were some bruises due to the impact of the fall, but I couldn't feel shit. Not when I'd been caught.

The hand holding my foot in a death grip pulled me closer towards the hole and I screamed again while trying in vain to kick the hand off. An evil chuckle that would put the Joker's to shame echoed from inside the hole and I felt chills all over. This was the end and I knew it.

"You think you can leave me?" The voice echoed and slowly the head of the monster peeked from the edge of the hole and I shut my eyes. It wasn't a monster. It was David. His handsome face was mangled, slashes still bleeding profusely scattered over his face and as he smiled, blood seeped out of the missing teeth in his mouth. At the moment, he could easily pass as a monster.

"You think you can be free of me, Dee?" His scornful cackle cracked the quiet night and I cowered in fear. How could I have been so foolish to think I could escape? "Don't be silly, sweetheart. You can't leave me, you're bound to me."

I thrashed violently and shrieked as he started to pull me towards him, towards the hole. It was useless though, nobody came to help me and my bloodcurdling scream still reverberated as the hole closed me in with him.

He was correct. I couldn't leave him.

I woke up with a head-splitting headache and to make it worse, I had a home appointment with Ms Cruise. I understood bipolar disorder could be quite a ride, but so was point blank insanity. And Ms Cruise bordered dangerously close to the latter. More than once, I considered punching her in the throat till she slumped, but Ms Cruise was an insanely rich woman. She'd file a lawsuit and hire lawyers that'd put my sorry ass in jail. And that was a no-no.

I popped a few aspirin tablets into my mouth on the Uber drive back to work. The driver wasn't exactly quiet as he kept trying to talk about the beautiful weather and how nice the traffic was. First off, there was no 'beautiful' weather in February, it was residual winter all over. Second, I didn't give a fuck about none of that shit.

My phone dinged as a message rolled in and I threw one last glare at the Uber driver before checking my phone.

Andre: Good morning, beautiful! Hope you had a good night sleep and I wish you an even better day. I won't be around for maybe 3 days, I have a little thing to do with my dad. It's supposed to last a week, but I'll try to get out of it as soon as I can. I don't like being away from you for too long. Please call me when you get this message. Or whenever you can.