CHAPTER 37 : DEBBIE

It was a little chilly outside but not to worry, we all had sweatshirts on. Kayla even topped it with a trench coat and she sang happy tunes in the backseat as we drove to the park. I looked happy but deep down, I wasn't so thrilled about going to the park. But my daughter had mastered the art of guilt tripping, she was the one in control. I didn't make her tortilla the other day for breakfast, I had to atone for it with this park visit. Hmmm, things we do for love.

According to Nelly though, my daughter had a play date with a couple of her friends so it turned out I'd still have had to take her even if I had made her tortilla she requested the other day. So we arrived at the park (Nelly drove, of course) , I met with the other moms. Kayla ran towards a group of little girls beside the swings. I stood confused and looked back at Nelly for directives. 

"What are we supposed to do now?"

"We wait. We're just designated drivers." My brows raised with surprise, I hadn't expected that. I thought we'd walk around the park with the kids. "How do you not know that, Dee?" She pointed towards an empty bench and walked towards it. 

I followed behind her. "Because I don't take her to the park. You do. You're like her mother."

Although it was fleeting, I caught her flushed appearance before it quickly disappeared. "Are you blushing?" I teased and she sent me a bloodcurdling glare. 

"I did no such thing."

I cracked up and tickled her sides. Nelly really hated being vulnerable around anybody. And to her, showing emotions was a vulnerability. Even though I was her best friend, sometimes I felt I didn't know the real her. It was just an intuitive thought, but I felt she was hiding something from me and the rest of the world. Something deep.

"You think I'll make a good mother?" She asked suddenly after a few minutes of silence.

"You shouldn't ask Kayla that, she'd probably choose you over me." We both looked towards where the kids were gathered and saw Mikayla laughing maniacally. It was such a cute sight, both I and Nelly started laughing. "The only thing is you're a horrible cook. You might want to learn how to do that, cos I wouldn't want a mother who couldn't cook."

Nelly eyed me with contempt. "First off, I'm not that horrible a cook. I just hate to apply myself. Second and more important, I'd never want you as a kid. You're so goddamn ugly."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "You're so mean." I murmured. 

She threw her head back in boisterous laughter and when she looked back at me, her eyes were bristling with untamed humor. "Nah, I'm lying. You're beautiful. More beautiful than usual."

I cocked my brows. "More than usual? I've not been doing anything differently. Or maybe it's because I'm going to work anymore so less stress."

 My friend however rolled her eyes in response to my answer. "You can't be serious. You and I know the reason. The real reason."

My brows furrowed in genuine confusion. What was she talking about? "I really have no idea on what you're talking about."

Nelly smacked my temple and I yelped at the impact. "Don't be stupid. You're literally having the aftersex glow."

"What? That's not true, that's absurd."

She threw me a bored look. "What do you mean? You've been getting dick everyday for the past two weeks. From Andre of all people? And didn't you say he had a monster dick? Of course, you'd glow."

My eyes widened and I looked around hastily to make sure no one was around to hear her. "Keep your fucking voice down."

"Why? It's not like you're underaged."