CHAPTER 4 : DEBBIE

"Oh God, this is so terrible."

"Yeah, I know right. It was-." Her voice drifted to a distant sound. She probably took her mouth away from the reciever to respond to someone in the background. My head kept reeling as I waited for her to come back. How could I had forgotten about the swearing-in ceremony? I narrowed my eyes, someone must had jinxed me. "I'm sorry about that, just Gina disturbing the life out of my soul." I nodded in understanding, Gina was as annoying as annoying could get. I avoided her like I avoided sneaky links. "Okay, so where was I? Yeah, you would be in so much trouble when you resume. That is, if you still have a job by then."

I glared at the bare wall in my sitting room. "Don't joke about stuffs like that. It's not even remotely funny."

Her scoff pierced the static air. "You're so uptight, Dee. I'm just trying to lighten the mood."

"Congratulations. You successfully darkened it, Nyx."

A pause. "Debbie, did you just call me Nyx? As in Nyx, the goddess of darkness?"

"Oh wow, another Greek mythology scholar." I said drily and she laughed at my sarcastic retort. Madison always claimed I had the driest humor ever but I'd say otherwise. Yes, I usually said everything with a straight face but then, I didn't think I was actually funny. In my opinion, Nelly was the queen of dry humor. Maybe I was just picking up little traits from her.

I counted a few seconds before Madison finally stopped laughing. "But why didn't you come though? I'm very sure I even overheard some rumors that you were laying in your deathbed."

My right brow raised by a quarter inch. "What?"

A small chuckle floated into my ear. "Yeah. Everybody knows how fanatic you are about work. So when you didn't show up for the most anticipated event in WeCare Inc, I mean this stuff has been talked about since last year, surely tongues would wag. One said you were shot in a robbery attack. Some people said you fell in the bathtub and fell into a coma. Another said you were caught in a jealous woman's bed with her husband and she bashed your head against the headboard. I won't even lie, that last one was really colorful."

My loud laughter made me choke on my saliva and I coughed a couple times before I could talk. "Let me guess, Gina was responsible for the last one?"

"You know Georgina would always have the most atrocious version."

I shook my head and laughed a little more. "Well, that was a very interesting plot. I'm a little impressed with her imagination."

The door of Mikayla's room banged shut and she strolled to the living room. Madison's voice drew my attention away from my pyjamas clad daughter. "I know right. So what was the real reason you didn't come? Cos the amount of rumors I heard is so terrifying. My brain will definitely go numb if I listen to another fake tale."

Kayla tugged my hand to gain my attention again and pointed to the kitchen. I stared at the kitchen door for a few seconds before realization dawned on me. She wanted to eat dinner. I nodded quickly and put up my index finger to let her know I'd do that in a minute. Indistinct squawks reminded me that Madison was still waiting for my answer. "Uhmm, I took a sick leave. An impromptu one though."

"Amber said something like that too when I asked but I didn't believe her. I don't think you're sick."

An unimpressed huff fell out of my lips as I walked to the kitchen, Kayla in tow. "I had no idea you doubled as a doctor. Being a psychotherapist is already hard work, I can't imagine the stress you go through since you decided to also be a medical doctor. Must be really horrible."