chapter 2 PREVIEW

Preview #2 into When You're Ready

~

My ears felt like a bomb had gone off.

People were still talking but I couldn't hear anything. My ears were ringing and my heart sped up and I started to sweat. I know Coke has caffeine but not this much.

I should probably listen as the Director is still talking. This is information I should hear but I can't.

I don't know how I feel right now.

All I know is that I'm nauseous. Which sucks because I had a really good lunch today. I don't wanna see it again. 

I tried concentrating on my heart and my ears went normal again, but only after the meeting had ended and everyone started to get up out of their seats. Meanwhile I was still sitting down, my hand still wrapped around my half empty can. 

Thomas nudged my arm as he furrowed his eyebrows. He was standing already. Shit, when did he get up?

"Come on we can go home now." He laughed a little but stopped when my face didn't move.

I didn't say anything. I grabbed my Coke and got up. I pushed the seat in and he walked ahead of me. 

What is it I'm feeling right now?

"Are you okay?" Thomas asks as he waits for me at the door to exit. We were the last ones in the room. I guess it took me a second to realize the meeting was over. 

"Uh, yeah. I'm good." I was not good. I didn't think I'd hear his name when it came to my work life. That part of my life was gone.

Right?

"You don't look good. One second you're fine and then the next it looks like you're gonna be sick." Fuck he noticed before I could. I laughed it off.

"Really? Huh." I touched the back of my hand to my forehead for the temperature.

"I feel fine. Nothing to be worried about." I wave it off as we head towards our offices. They were literally right next to each other. The only thing separating us was a wall. 

Our heavy glass doors piss me off. They take forever to close and forever to open. I go to the gym regularly and recently could lift 120 lbs, but they're still heavy as fuck. I'm just glad the walls weren't glass. I'd feel like I was in a glass bowl. 

Before he walks into his office he says, "Well make sure you don't call in sick tomorrow. Our main character is coming in to meet the staff." 

I stop in my tracks. 

I was one step into my office, hand on the handle to get in, when I froze.

What?

"What did you say?" I wasn't walking into my office anymore. I went next door and started walking into his.

"I said Shawn Mendes was coming in tomorrow to meet the staff. You didn't hear the director? She said it towards the end." My hands immediately started sweating. I started to bite the insides of my cheeks. My go to move when I'm anxious. 

What the fuck am I going to do?

I squeezed my can a little too hard as it made that pop sound indicating it was getting crushed. Thankfully it was half empty. It would've spilled on me. I loosened my grip on it as soon as I heard the noise. 

"Are you sure you're not sick? You look pale again." He said as he grabbed a folder from his desk and put it in his backpack. 

"Um, before I answer that, do you and Rach want to come over tonight? I have a lot to explain." He slung his bag over his shoulder and pushed his chair in. He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Um sure? What time do you want us there? I'll have to call the babysitter." 

I'm so aware of how fast my heart started to beat again.

Fuck. 

That's usually the indication I'm starting a panic attack. I haven't had one in years. 

~

The rest of the entire chapter and next chapters are on the other book already published and are literally just waiting for you ;)

I hope you guys want to see what happens next! I hope you enjoy and remember it's on the mature side so if you're not ready, girl you better hurry and get ready fast!  

I love you all and thank you so much!! from the bottom of my heart, I'm super grateful that you guys just took the time to read <3 

I'll catch you on When You're Ready 

;)

I love and appreciate you <3

-Nicole xx

2/18/24