Chapter 2.6

AFTER some events unfolding at our base camp, such as Ike and Shinohara apologizing each other and Hirata creating a strategy and prediction of the amount of points we'll save up, I saw Ayanokouji walking towards me.

"Hey, where were you?"

"I was going with a someone in the forest."

"... What?"

"You saw me with the fruit and corn, anyways, what is it?"

I showed a confused expression and tilted my head to the side.

"I'm going to Ibuki, since she's going to stay at the camp. I feel nervous though."

"Is it because she's a girl?"

"Please follow me."

Fine fine, teasing didn't work.

We walked, side by side towards Ibuki, who was currently sitting on the ground.

"Sorry. Can you wait a little longer? I'm going to talk to him about you." Ayanokouji asked her.

"You don't need to force yourself. I'd probably end up just getting in the way."

Ibuki pulled up a handful of grass, looking pissed.

 "After all, they'll chase me out anyway. Am I wrong?"

"Well, I don't think Hirata's that kind of guy. He's pretty nice and understanding."

Of course, not everyone can be nice 24/7.

"Oh, I never introduced myself before. My name's Ayanokouji. This here is my friend, Shinjiro." 

I put my hand up next to my face as a signal of greeting her.

So, should I introduce myself once more then?"

"Nah. You're Ibuki, from Class C from what I remember."

We faced each other through the introductions, though Ibuki wouldn't look at us in the eyes.

"For future reference, can everyone here who's okay with drinking river water please raise your hand?" Ike asked.

The discussion moved on to the next topic, leaving Ibuki and Class C behind. Ike wasn't forcing anyone to drink the water, but he did want to see what everyone's opinions were. Of course, he took the initiative and raised his hand in support of the river. Nearly half of the guys raised their hands in apparent agreement. Shinohara looked a little perplexed, but Ike gently told her that she didn't have to force herself.

"I-I want to do my best, but... I'm a little scared, I think."

"If it's about what Sudou said about boiling water, it's really not that bad. If you're scared of drinking it directly, how about we try it out first?"

A few more students agreed. Gradually, a matter that had once been strongly rejected was now edging toward acceptance. Shinohara still appeared fearful but raised her hand.

"I don't know if I can drink it, but... I'm up for the challenge."

"I agree. If the first person who tries can drink it, then it should be fine."

Other students looked amenable to that, and then Kushida followed suit and raised her own hand. Perhaps she was trying to influence the group? Soon everyone had their hands raised except for Horikita, Ayanokouji and me. Everyone stared at us, and we slowly raised our hands as well. However, it was still difficult for people to start drinking from the river. In order to have some emergency supplies, we had decided to buy some water, just in case.