Chapter 2.3

THE forest's verdant, overgrown foliage surrounded us. The further in we went, the thicker it became. It was preferable to the scorching beach, but the damp heat was agonizing. I grabbed the neckline of my shirt and fanned myself to cool down.

I have a decent amount of stamina but the heat lowers it down. I don't go well with the heat, I'm sweating insanely, and I feel like I might have a headache...

As I thought about it, all I could think was how hot it was. It was way too hot. Would talking be enough to distract myself from it? No, talking would only make me more tired than I am now.

"Koenji?" Ayanokouji asked.

"Ah, so beautiful. As I stand here amongst such vast nature, with an air of composure, I really am too beautiful. The pinnacle of beauty!"

Yes Koenji, you sure are—

"Wh— Aah!"

While I was complaining about how hot and humid it is here, I heard someone falling so I stopped and turned around.

It seems like Sakura's foot caught on the roots of a large tree. Ayanokouji was too late but none the less asked if she was okay.

Fortunately, she'd landed on her butt and hands. It didn't look like anything serious. It might hurt for a while, but it shouldn't hinder her ability to help.

Meanwhile, Koenji ventured further and further into the forest without once considering a girl's pace. I honestly admired his stamina, better than mines. Me, Ayanokouji and Sakura continued to go after him.

Since our team was free to choose the base camp's location, you'd expect him to be looking around as you went. Koenji walked straight ahead, oblivious to the idea.

"Koenji. Don't you think it's a bad idea to rush forward like this? We'll get lost." Ayanokouji asked as Koenji remained with his back to us and started fixing his hair.

"I am a perfect human being. I would never foolishly lose my way in a forest. If any problem occurs, it would most likely be because you three lost sight of me. When that happens, you should give up. By the way, I'd like to ask you ordinary people something. Don't you think this is truly beautiful?" Koenji flashed an audacious smile, showing us his white teeth.

"Well. I do think that the forest...well, nature...is quite mysterious, or rather beautiful." Ayanokouji tried telling him what he thought, more or less. However, Koenji sighed in disappointment.

"Yes Koenji, you certainly are a sight in this beautiful place. Indeed, it contrasts well." I answered. He probably thought it was him, not the place.

"Ha, Crimson-eyes gets it! At least someone's somewhat perceptive!" Crimson-eyes? That's my nickname from you?

"He's probably acting a little messed up because of the heat. It's best you don't pay him any mind, Sakura and Shinjiro."

"Y-yeah. Koenji-kun has been acting pretty funny from the start, so it's okay."

Acting?

"There's no need to worry. Even if something happened in a forest like this, there won't be a problem."

"What do you mean by that, Koenji?" Ayanokouji asked. I was also intrigued as well.

"I wouldn't call this a natural forest. The probability of getting lost during the day is extremely low. It's precisely for that reason that I'm a little curious." He had a point. It seemed like this 'natural forest' isn't really natural. No wild animals or such. Manmade paths. Manmade objects. It's quite obvious this island has been used before.