Badger

Patrol after patrol went out, watching the nest of the badger, and all that did come back came with the news of the badger wandering around and killing their prey. Watching silently as Squirrelstar jerked her nose to different cats to come to the patrol, she pointed her nose to Hollypaw. Hollypaw looked towards her excitedly. Goldenpaw mewed quietly in congratulations for her friend from under the highrock, where she usually sits in the evening, when the sky glowed with colours of orange and pink as the sun set. It was Hollypaw's first patrol! Goldenpaw was very worried about her though she didn't show it, Hollypaw is her best friend, she could become badger prey in a second! Goldenpaw remembered themselves as kits playing together and rolling around. She sighed, lost in memories. But Goldenpaw couldn't just sit still and watch the patrols leave, what if somecat gets hurt? So she snuck past the medicine cat den and bounded into the bramble. And within a rustle of leaves, she was secretly apart of the patrol.  Goldenpaw stalked the cats through the forest step after step, with the soft grass supporting her crouch. She was sure Hollyaw noticed her, but she didn't see her react to her presence. She watched them carefully. They were creeping up on the badger slowly. She was relieved that Hollypaw was okay after she saw her with Runningwind and Brackenfur. 

The patrol she was watching started to head back and Goldenpaw was just about to leave too when she spotted Hollypaw in the same place still. She was about to yell at her to come back with her and the patrol. but to Goldenpaw's horror, Hollypaw leaped out at the badger! "Hollypaw! Stop!" Dust sprung out of the ground as Hollypaw clawed the badger's face. She looked back at Goldenpaw with a hint of doubt in her eyes. As she started to step back with uncertainty, then again leaped out at the badger! Her scratches were nothing compared to the badger's huge hit, the badger strongly batted Hollypaw into a tree trunk. Hollypaw fell to the ground. Winded, she got up wearily ready to give a huge bite to the badger's neck. Goldenpaw was about to run out to save her friend but the badger got to her first. It flipped Hollypaw over with a flick of its nose and bit down into her stomach. Hollypaw screeched and flopped down, her muscles went limp. "NOOOOO! Hollypaw!" 

Goldenpaw raced out of her hiding place and started to drag Hollypaw gently by the scruff out of the clearing. The badger rolled away towards its den, satisfied with what it had done. It all happened so fast. From watching Berryheart, she knew that cobwebs stopped bleeding. Goldenpaw tried to find some but she couldn't. "Goldenpaw, is that you?" Hollypaw asked weakly as she twitched her eyes open slowly. "Yes it is, I'm here. Please don't leave me. I need you!" Goldenpaw wailed. Tears dripped down her whiskers. "It is my time to die. I will be waiting for you in Starclan, my friend. I will always be with you." Those were her last words as the gleam in her eyes started to die away. Hollypaw started to get cold. Goldenpaw leaned over her friend as her eyes started to close. She tried to flick Hollypaw's eyes back open but when she did, they closed again. 

"NO!" she dumped her head into her friend's fur. "No." The patrol burst out from behind the thickets, they were probably looking for Hollypaw."What's going-" Leafpelt looked down at the apprentice. Brackentail prepared to leap at the badger's back but Leafpelt stopped him,"It is not time to attack, let the badger be, for it has already had the taste of cat blood." Goldenpaw stayed silent as Runningwind helped her carry Hollypaw's body back to Thunderclan.