Chapter 38

After they had finished their lunch they stayed a little longer at the restaurant, waiting for the rain to pass. The only problem was that it was already half past one and Meredith was getting impatient, scared that she wouldn't be on time for climbing. "Are you getting a little warmer?" he asked her as she was now laying on the bunk, her head on his lap, cuddled into two blankets. "Yeah." She replied, enjoying how he was caressing her cheek and stroking her hair. "I like this." She mumbled, turning her head to look up at him. "Me too." He said, letting his thumb wander over her cheek and jawline, feeling her soft skin.

"Is it still raining?" she then asked, pulling her knees up a little, curling up into a ball. "Yeah, but I think it's getting less, I'll get you home on time." He reassured her. "Would you like to have a dessert?" the waitress asked, cleaning up their plates. "Mer?" Andrew asked, watching as she sat up again, her hair slightly messy. "Uhm- do you have chocolate cake?" she asked, making him smile. "Yes of course. Just one piece?" the waitress gave back. "Yes, with two forks please." Meredith said, turning her face to Andrew who started to sort out her hair a little. "We're sharing a cake huh? Very romantic." He said, leaning in to place a kiss on her lips.

__________

Twenty minutes later the rain stopped so that Meredith and Andrew quickly paid and got outside, walking over to the chairlift. "Have you ever been on a chairlift before?" he asked her as she observed the lift from the distance as he paid for the tickets. "No, you?" she gave back, taking her hand in his. "Yes." He sighed. "You don't sound happy. Don't you like it?" she asked him surprised.

"No, not really. I'm a little bit scared of heights." He said, making her smile. "Really?" she asked, receiving a nod in response. "Yeah." He gave back as they started to walk towards the entry. "So, we're in the same situation, that's good." She said, what confused him. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"Dr. Wyatt told me that it's helpful when you're scared when you talk to someone who is scared too. You're scared of heights and I'm scared because I've never been on a chairlift before so we can talk to each other about it." She explained, looking up. "Sounds logically." He chuckled. It was adorable how she was trying to help him. "So, we have to take our backpacks onto our chests, like this." He said, showing her, before they walked over to the area where they would get onto the lift.

"Let's go." She said, holding his hand tightly. And then all of the sudden, they were flying. It felt as if they were flying. "Wow, this is amazing." Meredith said, smiling brightly. "Well, now we're not in the same situation anymore." He joked, closing his eyes. Meredith looked at him a little concerned, laying her head on his shoulder, trying to offer him some comfort which she wasn't very good at. But it helped that she was there and that she wasn't scared. Maybe Dr. Wyatt was wrong, because to him it was more helpful if only one of them was scared because like this, he somehow wasn't that scared anymore.

__________

"Are you okay?" Meredith asked him as they arrived at the parking lot. "Yes, I'm fine." He reassured her, taking her hand in his again. "Good, me too. This was really fun." She said as they got into the car again. "I just hope you didn't catch a cold, you were freezing for a pretty long time."

"I'm fine." She said, taking out her tiny massage balls. "Let's get you home so that you're on time for climbing." He said, smiling. "Can we listen to music?" Meredith asked, looking out of the window. "Sure, you can link your phone if you'd like." He said, opening the menu for her. "Thanks." She said, starting to play her favourite playlist and relaxing into the seat.

"Can I ask you something?" he asked after a few minutes of silence where both of them had just enjoyed the music. "Yes." She gave back, still looking out of the window, taking in the landscape. "This weekend, we've seen each other a lot and we've had many- different kinds of interactions. Was that difficult for you?"

"Yes. But- I wasn't feeling that nervous anymore today. And I had a lot of fun." She gave back, smiling slightly. "That's good. So- we're going to keep doing the date nights on Fridays?"

"Yes I'd like that." She replied, fidgeting with the balls in her hands. "Good. Me too."

He just smiled brightly. She was something special for sure.

________

"Thanks for bringing me home." Meredith said, dropping her backpack in the hallway. "Nothing to thank for." He said, taking a step closer to her but staying outside. He just smiled as she stood on her tiptoes, reaching up to kiss him. Gently, he laid his arms around her waist. "You should take a warm shower Mer, you're still shivering a little." He said concerned. "I told you I'm fine." She replied, giggling.

"I'm just worried about you, I don't want you to get sick." He said, placing a soft kiss on her nose what made her giggle again. "I love you." She whispered, looking into his eyes. She had beautiful eyes and he felt so lucky to be able to look at them right now. But she was still her so that she looked away again after a few seconds, making him smile. "I love you too. And you should get ready for climbing now." He said, kissing her cheek and releasing her from his arms again. "Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow then." She said, disappearing into her house and closing the door.

He sighed. This day had been amazing. So, with a huge smile still on his face he slowly walked back to his car.