Chapter 11

SPOILERS FOR AFTER INAZUMA ARCHON QUEST

"Ah, you're finally here." Sensing Lumi's presence, you spoke to her without turning around.  It had been a month. Xiao came to see you every so often, but no one else had. It had gotten a little lonely without some new company. "It's been almost a month. What took you so long?" 

No reply. 

Concerned, you turned around. Lumi was tearstained. Near her breaking point. "Oh my god Lumi! What happened? Are you alright?" Rushing to her, you quickly checked her for injuries. There seemed to be none, meaning the damage was all mental. Paimon hung off to the side. 

"Paimon, what happened to her?" 

"Paimon thinks it's better if she tells you herself." You nodded, understanding. Mental wounds were much harder to heal and move on from than physical wounds. In all the time you had known Lumi, you had never seen her sad or in pain. Seeing her cry was a big shock. 

"Lumine. You alright?" Lumi collapsed onto you sobbing. 

"He- He- I saw him Y/N. Aether. My brother! My freaking brother! I haven't seen him in like 500 years and the first thing he says to me is 'Why are you with Dain'!" Not knowing who Dain is, you just nodded. It seemed like she had been through a lot since the two of you last met. Calming her down, you listened to everything she said. Whether you understood or not. 

"Ok. Lumi, calm down. You've been through a lot. Just relax. We'll talk tomorrow alright?" setting her down on the guest bed, you went outside to think. 

She must feel so betrayed. 

Her own brother. 

The brother that she's been searching for for so long. 

Not caring about her well being but rather her companions. 

Filled with rage on her behalf, you sighed. She was never going to- never going to give up on her brother. She was too kindhearted for that. She seemed to have forgiven you, but that conversation would come later. After Lumi feels better. Sitting down, you watched the sky. Looking at the sunset, the stars, the sunrise. Eventually, it was morning and Lumi finally came out. 

"Good Morning Lumi. Are you feeling better?" Standing up to meet her, you face her. She seemed tired. The same tiredness you felt after having a breakdown. Impulsively, you wrap your arms around her in a hug. After a moment, Lumi hugs you back. 

"Thank you Y/N." 

"Hm. I suppose that means you forgive me?" 

"I- I had a long time ago. I was just worried that you wouldn't- I don't know. I was just scared to face you I guess." 

You just nodded. "Have you seen Morax? How is he doing?"

"He's alright. Adjusting to life as a Mortal." 

"Where are you going to head to next?" 

"Inazuma." 

"Ah. The land of Eternity. When you meet the Shogun, send my condolences on her loss 500 years ago." Grinning at her mysteriously, you stood up. "Well, you better get going. I'll always be her for you if you need it. Oh. Can you carry a message for me? Tell Morax I wish to see him. Tell him to meet me here." Lumi nodded at headed down the mountain. 

A few days later, you heard Morax coming up the mountain. 

"It's been a while."  you greeted him. 

"It has. What did you wish to see me for?" 

"Do I need a reason to see you?" He just looked at you. 

"From how Lumine talked to me, it seemed like you needed something." 

The two of you felt silent. You both had realized you were mimicking the dialogue from when he confessed to you. 

"Is this the part where I whip out the contract?" you joked, attempting to lighten the mood. 

"Do you think I would sign it?" his serious answer surprised you. You hadn't forgotten about what you had told him. Neither had he. 

"Would you? If you offered again, I would sign it in a heartbeat. But, I'm not sure you would want that. I haven't forgotten any moments we shared. The good, and the bad." he just looked at you, sensing you had more to say. "Do you remember the moment I asked you if the person you loved was Guizhong? You looked so guilty. I remember that day perfectly. I also remember the week after it clearly, because I stood at that spot for a week crying." You chuckled. "I guess I still hold a grudge." 

"I could tell. The moment you saw me, you started trembling. Like you were reliving a moment you didn't want to remember. Then, you acted like I didn't exist for the next few days." he looked at you. "When you finally talked to me, your voice was so cold. I guess you realized, you got over it in a day or two. I didn't know how to react. My ex, appearing out of seemingly nowhere when I haven't heard from you in so many years." 

You smiled grimly. "You don't love me do you? It was just a first love. I hoped. I had hoped that your feelings would return. But I don't see anything in your eyes when you look at me. I guess our love wasn't strong enough to withstand time. That is the greatest trial of love isn't it? Time. I don't know how I still love you Morax. It's been 5,000 years. 5,000! Yet I still love you. Maybe I was destined to have a one-sided love forever. I need to move on, but I don't know how Morax. I don't know how. I can't love anyone else. I tried. I tried with Childe. It didn't work out." you stopped. You were rambling. 

"I thought you really loved Childe." that small observation shocked you. 

"I'm a great actor then. I thought I could fake it until I actually loved him. It ended in me hurting him like you hurt me." your eyes were sad, downcast. "You really don't love me. There was a reason why you didn't look back. I don't think we can be friends Morax. The closer we are, the more prone I am to falling more in love with you. It would kill me. I would try to kill myself again. It's already driving me mad. Well, goodbye Morax. Our love and friendship was fun while it lasted, but the more you get attached, the more it hurts when you're ripped apart." 

This time, you were the one who walked down the steps. 

This time, you were the one who didn't look back. 

This time, you were the one who left the other watch as you retreated. 

When you reached the bottom of all the steps, you started walking in a random direction. Not caring where you were going. The truth you saw in his eyes was repeating in your head. The drumbeat to your steps. 

He doesn't love me. 

He doesn't love me. 

He doesn't love me. 

I shouldn't have hoped.  

A/N: I would have gotten them together, but it seemed like the relationship was kind of forced. I don't know. It seems really short so far. Anyway..... I honestly don't know how to make him love her.... help.