Chapter 8

Still upset about the small argument with Lumi, you quickly get out of sight of anyone and teleport onto your mountain. When you arrive, you see an amber eyed adeptus with a polearm made of jade sitting there looking at the view. You softly smile and sit down next to him. 

"How are you Xiao? Do you come here often?" He looks at you, not surprised because he had heard you arrive and walk over. 

"You."

"Yes, me. This is my home. Or well, it was. Now, I have no place to call home. Ironic isn't it? I have this domain and my house in Monstadt, but I don't feel like I have a home." 

"I know." 

"What?"

"I already knew this was your home." he chuckled "Rex Lapis told me." 

"Ah..." You give a dark chuckle. "He actually told you a lot. I didn't expect him to. I didn't expect him to tell all the Adepti about the one contract he terminated." 

"He cared." 

"Didn't seem like he did. Didn't seem like he did when he never once looked back as he walked away." Xiao looked at you again. To the average mortal, his expression would have been indecipherable, but you could tell he was a little surprised. "He didn't tell you that part huh? Did he even know that I stood at that one spot I watched him leave and I cried for a week?" You scoffed. 

"A week?"

"A week. A week of no water, no food, no movement, no nothing except for crying my heart out. And during that one week, he confessed and he was happy. Happy with her. At least the goal for which I shredded my own heart succeeded. At least he was happy. At least he was happy without me. At least he was happy with her. At least he was happy after he got over her death. At least...." 

"You still love him." Surprised that he had spoken the thought that you still didn't like to voice, you stayed silent, confirming the statement. 

"You never answered my question. Do you come here often?" changing the subject, you looked at him curiously. 

"Yes. It helps. Helps with the pain. I wish the others had come to this spot." 

"Ah. That would be the remnant of my healing power in this area. It heals those who need it to the best of its ability. Emotionally and physically. Do you want me to heal you? This small remnant won't be that effective on you for long."

"Will it really work?" He looked at you with a hope he was afraid of. You knew that feeling. Being afraid to hope in case it went wrong. 

"It will take away some of your dept. Not all of it, but it should still lessen the pain for at least a month." 

"Then do it." You reached out and held Xiao's hand. Squeezing it gently, you started the process. 

"It'll be alright Alatus. You can rest. Lay down your burden for now. Pick it up again when you feel better. You really should prioritize your health instead of your duty. You remind me of him. Same stubbornness and the same 'do your duty before anything else' mindset. You are doing an almost impossible task. It is alright to rest for a while. Just sleep Xiao. Rest Alatus." Seeing that he had fallen asleep, you picked him up and carried him to the spare bed inside your abode. 

Sitting down beside him, you continue the healing. Hearing someone walk in, you turn to see Morax. 

"Ah, it's you. I wondered who got in." 

"It's me. I see you're taking care of Xiao." 

"Yes. He really reminds me of you. It's like he's your son. Wait... is he?"