Chapter 51 - The First War

Start from the beginning

For months, she hadn't had a single premonition, no visions, no sight into the future at all, it seemed as though even her gift had given up on her. While Fred remained supportive of her and did what he could to show his support, he was often only ever around when he was coming home for a quick dinner, a few hours of rest, then back to work for the Order. They barely had any time at all for each other. It seemed like no one had time for her, no one had time for anyone.

As she stared at the ceiling, barely blinking as her thoughts felt like they would consume her, there was a knock at the front door. Milena lifted her head, a little suspicious of the sudden guest. Her wand was pulled into her grasp almost instantly as she swung her legs off of the couch and stood up, cautiously walking towards the front door.

She stood at the door for a moment, her free hand resting on the door knob, deciding whether or not she should open it, but then the person on the other side of the door spoke.

"Milena? Are you there? It's Remus." The person said through the door. "I wanted to check on you. Can you please let me in?"

Milena opened the door only a crack and pointed her wand directly at Remus' face who stood unblinking yet mostly calm.

"What did Remus tell me after he told me about the baby?" Milena asked.

"That I was worried they would end up like me." Remus said gently.

Milena lowered her wand and pulled the door open, letting Remus inside and shutting the door on the cold wind chill that was blowing into the house. Remus walked past her and into the living room, pointing his wand at the fireplace and lighting a small fire to warm his hands over. Milena followed behind him, joining him in the living room as well.

"Tea?" Milena asked.

"Thanks." Remus nodded.

Milena waved her wand towards the kitchen and a steaming teapot and two teacups floated into the living room, placing themselves on the coffee table, followed by a small jug of milk and a cup of sugar. The two sat on the couches opposite of each other and both took their tea. Milena didn't say a word, unsure of exactly what to say or what he expected her to say.

"How are you doing... under your circumstances?" Remus asked, taking a sip of tea.

"Things could be better, but I suppose I deserve this." Milena replied. "I've been spending a lot of time on potions of all things... Not exactly something I ever thought I'd say, but it's been... interesting."

Remus huffed out a single laugh.

"So... why exactly are you here and not at the Order meeting?" Milena asked, wanting to get right to the point.

"Oh, the meeting ended not too long ago. I wanted to stop in to see you before the Weasley's returned. I'm sure they'll be along soon." Remus paused to take another sip of tea. "I wanted to ask you about what happened in January myself."

"Oh." Milena sighed. "That."

"Yes, that." Remus repeated. "I would ask 'what were you thinking' but I'm already sure I know the answer to that and I'm sure you've heard enough lectures. So, I'll just ask, what's going on with you?"

Milena froze at that. No one had really asked her that. She had been scolded and punished and Fred had only shown his full support, but no one had asked her - what made her do it? What made her rush into a situation that she had no information on? What made her so eager to want to be a part of the missions?

"We've lost so much..." Milena said softly. "Sometimes it makes me wonder... is this all worth it? How are we supposed to win? No one knows where Harry is... Vol-"