KAYLA- 50. My Way, His Way

to those who waited...

.....................................................

"What do you mean?" Coldly I ask, my finger poised over the trigger.

His eyes were like blades piercing to my most vulnerable. I don't know why it sent chills to my spine and I felt caught in my own trap. With shaky breaths, I felt something cold crawl across my brow.

I couldn't possibly, as I try to observe. This tense surroundings, menacing looks emanating from ringed orbs. I know I'm in the disadvantage here.

"What do I mean?"

Suddenly I heard a chuckle. He reaches out a hand to cover his lips, his eyes slowly making their way to mine as he laughs. "Oh! My apologies, I didn't mean to cause you a shock, Darling. But your Mom and I knew each other very well." He took a sip of wine and took a satisfied odd sigh.

"Was it too personal? I'm bad at small talk aren't I, Leorio?" While cocking the glass at Leorio, he lets out a hearty chuckle.

Leorio only pursed his lips as he nodded in response. "Especially to beautiful girls like you." He flashed another grin and went on.

I study his body language. He has relaxed shoulders and a permanent smile on his face. Honestly, I have no idea if he's telling the truth or not.

Since I also engage in dishonest behavior, I am in a prime position to pass judgment. From what I can tell, he has more to reveal. I smiled gently, as if I was really pleased. If you're a liar, in every situation you should smile a lot.

"Mr. Freecss-"

"Please. Don't call with such formality. I thought I told you to call me, Dad?"

I didn't know what to say. He just stares at me. "Why? Too uncomfortable for you? Call me Ging, I suppose."

"Sir-"

He clicks his tongue and puffed a smoke. "So, stubborn. How obstinate! I find that distasteful.”

Astonished, I asked, "How did you know my Mom?" I tried to be casual, analyzing what type of situation I was in.

Four of us left, I can kill them all.

His Dad thought up a bit. He pondered to himself and lightly clicked his fingers.

"Vegas. We met at a casino. You were a little girl back then."

Vegas?

My eyes widened and the nerves on my face got confused to either be shocked or remain monotone.

Little girl?

I closed my eyes, to open it slowly and rummaged with my thoughts.

I averted my gaze as I wiped my mouth with a napkin and tucked it under my arm.

Vegas?

Vegas?

A pit formed in my stomach and my pulse nearly stopped as I became acutely aware of every sensation. Cold perspiration beaded at my temples and I felt every hair on my body stand on end.

I bit down firmly on my bottom lip.

He met Kayla.

Not me.

"I'm sorry. I don't quite have a memory of us being acquainted, Ging." I say, attempting to keep my composure as I reach for the wine glass and drank a few sips of the light alcohol while thinking of what to say next, my gun tucked safely back between my thighs, ready in each way I pleases.