Chapter 39: I Am Used To Feeling Pain

After eating at the cafeteria, Terrence, Daniel, Jessica, and Helene go to Peter's room. They cannot overcome the excitement and are still trying to decide who should go to the room first and wait behind the door.

"So what, guys, who's gonna go to the room first?" Terrence asks quietly.

"May Helene and Jessica go first," Daniel suggests. "And you and I will come later."

"But Marshall and I think you two better go first," Jessica says.

"Yeah, you have something to talk about," Helene adds confidently, half turning on the trio following her.

"But why don't you wanna go first?" Terrence asks.

"Just wanna take much more time to get ready," Jessica replies thoughtfully. "I can't personally get ready for this talk."

"We're all terribly excited," Helene says softly. "But we should decide it now, 'cause we've almost come."

"Go with Jessica then, but Terrence and I will wait in the hall," Daniel says.

"Don't you wanna go first?" Jessica wonders.

"We want, but we can let you two go forward. As real men. Moreover, you also have something to talk about with Peter."

"Thanks, of course," Helene thanks softly. "But I'd like to have two minutes to get ready for the meeting... I'm not ready for it yet..."

"All of us can take two minutes to get ready," Jessica replies thoughtfully. "But we'll have to do this."

"And we're also terribly nervous," Terrence sighs tiredly. "Afraid of Peter's reaction to our appearance."

"Listen, guys, maybe, you really go first?" Helene suggests. "I'm not really ready to go there right now."

"Well, if Helene doesn't wanna go now, I shall stay with her," Jessica shrugs. "And then get myself ready for this meeting."

"Are you sure you wanna go later?" Terrence asks.

"Yup," Helene pronounces quietly. "And if everything goes well, you and Daniel can stay as long as you want."

"Oh, I wish everything was fine..." Daniel says thoughtfully.

Terrence, Daniel, Helene, and Jessica silently go down the hall of the hospital, meeting some doctors, patients, and visitors on their way. But later, the four come to the door, on which a table with the room number "767" is hanging. The signature "Peter Jackson Rose, 25 years" is written on a special surface with a black marker that can be wiped off. There is a big window in the room, through which it's possible to watch everything that happens inside, but it's now half-closed with a curtain. And seeing what happens in the room from the side where the four are standing is impossible.

"So..." Helene pronounces hesitantly, turning on the others. "We've come... It's his room..."

Terrence, Daniel, and Jessica stop and run their eyes over what's written on the table hanging on the door.

"It couldn't have been written if everything had been otherwise..." Daniel says quietly with sadness in his eyes.

"Agree..." Terrence agrees. "But regretting is late..."

Silence settles in the air for a few seconds, which Jessica breaks hesitantly, embracing herself with both arms and addressing Daniel and Terrence:

"Okay... Terrence, Daniel, go first. Helene and I will wait for you here."

"Go, guys," Helene nods. "Try to talk to Peter."

Terrence and Daniel look at each other with a scare in their eyes, getting a little white from the excitement and understanding how much their muscles tense. But the guys brace themselves quickly, exhale sharply, and slowly come to the door leading to the room, while Helene and Jessica watch them with sadness in their eyes. After hesitating for a second or two, MacClife opens the door carefully and enters the room first, and Perkins follows him hesitantly. The friends see the sickly white Peter lying on the hospital bed and set their dead eyes on one of the two small windows placed on the right of him with his hands folded in front of himself.