chapter 4 ~ why are you here?!

School had finally ended and my mom texted me to let me know she could drive me home. Once I got in the car I began messaging Kyle. I still felt a little silly putting a heart in his name but I just had to!
Kyle💘:
We're meeting at the local pool right?
I laughed at his incredibly formal texting style.
Me:
yup, im so excited!!🥳
btw should i wear my one piece or two piece swimming costume? 👙🫧
Kyle💘:
I vote two piece!
We'll meet you there at 5pm.

I blushed at his choice of the two piece, but I was slightly confused why he said 'we'. Maybe it was just a typo. My mom's car pulled up to the driveway of our home and I sprinted out.
"Mom! I gotta get ready fast, I'm going swimming with one of Eric's friends!" I didn't want her to think it was just a random boy.
"Oh wow sweetie, it's good that you're already making friends! I'm sure if he's friends with Eric he's a lovely boy." She gave me a warm hug and unlocked the front door. Whenever Eric is with family he acts like an angel, probably why when Grandma died she left him so much money. I chuckled a little bit and ran straight to my bedroom once the door was opened. It was 4PM now so I only had 1 hour to get ready! Shit.

I put my hair into two low pigtails, using ribbons as bobbles. I put on a tiny bit of mascara, lipgloss and concealer just to make sure I don't look totally dead. People often made fun of my eyebags so most of the time I cover them, I'm not insecure about a lot of things, but that definitely gets to me. I dash into my bathroom that's next to my mothers room and grab my pink towel so I can dry off after swimming. Kyle chose the two piece so I rummage through my wardrobe looking for my cutest one, and finally I find it...

It's perfect! And so cute! I hope Kyle likes it or else I'm going to make a mockery of myself and I can't risk that

Once I've stuffed my bag, bikini and flip flops into my bag I sprint downstairs to say bye to my mom. She's sat on the couch watching some middle aged woman show, I'm not sure what it is, but as long as she's happy, I'm happy.
"Hey sweetie! You going now? Make sure you text me once you make it to the pool." She sweetly says. My mom is quite protective of me as it's just me and her, my dad doesn't live with us.
"Okay mom, I'll be back by... 8?" Normally she doesn't let me stay out late but I'm hoping today she does.
"Okay sweetheart, but not a second later. Now you better get there quick or you're going to be late!"
I check my phone and she's right, the time is 16:35, shit! I give her a quick peck on the cheek and make my way outside. The pool isn't far, at most it's fifteen minutes away so I should make it there in time.

By the time you arrive at the pool, Kyle is already there, accompanied by 3 boys...

I walk up to them, giving Kyle a confused look, gesturing my head towards the other boys who were all having their own conversation.

"Oh, yeah, sorry about them... I told Stan I was coming here with you and we used to come to this place all the time, so he begged me to let him come... And then by the time I had agreed he had already invited those other two assholes." He seemed to feel bad about the situation, and that just made my heart hurt. I grabbed his hat out of my bag and handed it to him.