90

Nobody

"If this is your attempt at a proposal, I'm going to laugh in your fucking face LaFrancé."

Mariah folded her arms and gave LaMelo a look of disgust which he gladly returned.

Melo- If I was proposing to your dumbass I would've been down on one knee. Does it look like I'm on one knee?

Mari couldn't help but think this was some sort of sick prank. It wasn't every day that boys gave her presents, well not expensive looking ones.

Mariah- So what's the point of the box?

Melo- When we were younger I told myself that if you were still around when I got into the NBA, the first thing I'd do was marry you. So I bought this the week before I got drafted. I kept it on me all day in case you showed up but...

He rubbed the back of his neck and looked down, trying not to say what happened out loud. His stupidity caused him to not have the girl he's loved for over half his life support him on the most important day of his career.

Mariah- I never did.

She didn't like thinking about 2019 or 2020 mainly because it would always hurt. So she tended to block those years out which is why she was in denial about him being in Charlotte for several months.

Melo- Yeah. I've uh, had it nearby since because I didn't know if I'd ever see you again.

Mariah hadn't seen him this vulnerable since he got into a fight with Lavar about him slapping that guy back in 2018. He'd come back to her hotel room damn near bawling his eyes out.

Mariah- What were you planning on doing with it if I had shown up?

Melo- I was gonna use it as a way of starting over. A promise that I'd treat you the way you deserve to be treated.

Mariah

As I listened to words the white man spoke, I noticed that he actually was making an effort to change. His three months would be up soon and I'd have to make a choice. Does I take him back, or do I go back to life without him?

When it came to men and relationships all I've ever known was Melo. Sure I had talking stages and hookups but I've never truly loved anyone else like I loved Melo.

Melo- So what do you think?

He opened the box and looked down at me, trying to figure out my reaction. You could clearly tell he was nervous. Good. Be scared bitch.

Make a decision Mariah. You have the boy of your dreams right in front of you, damn near begging to give him one last chance. Am I going to accept it? You're damn right I am. You can call me stupid, but this is the first time he's ever done this in the almost fifteen years I've known him.

Mariah- Fine.

His eyes lit up and he jumped around the room like he was a little kid before bringing me into a hug. Jesus Christ, what are you? Five??

Mariah- But you've gotta keep going to therapy and anger management. The second you lay a finger on me I'm out and we're never talking again.

Melo- Deal.

Once he finished his chihuahua behavior I let him slip the ring onto my finger. Daaamn. This was nice, shit better not be fake.

Mariah- This is real diamond, right?

He glared at me and I just about died of laughter. That question ruined his whole mood, I loved it.

Melo- Why do you always kill the vibe? You've become such a negative person. But don't worry, I know exactly how to fix it.

He gave me a look and I gagged in return, knowing what he was suggesting.

Mariah- I am not having sex with you in the same sheets you fucked Mama Odie on.