88

a/n
so i went to a basketball game monday..and look who it is! ngl it was a lot of fun. i even saw myself in one of the reels on instagram. & when we're y'all gonna tell me that denise's friend kaliah is with DRUSKI?! like bro what??

 & when we're y'all gonna tell me that denise's friend kaliah is with DRUSKI?! like bro what??

Nobody

"Why are you going to another basketball school if you don't like playing basketball?"

LaMelo and Mariah had been on the jet on their way back to North Carolina for about an hour and they'd been talking about random subjects with Jj occasionally chiming in.

Mariah- Now what exactly makes you think I don't like playing basketball?

He gave her a look as if to say "bitch please" and set his phone in his lap.

Melo- The only reason you played high school was to get my attention, and then you got serious about it to make Dmo happy.

Mari scoffed and turned her head towards the window, not liking how he knew that.

Mariah- Yeah, and look how that turned out for me. Dmo doesn't talk to me until I'm in danger and you seem to have a thing for the elderly, so I never really stood a chance.

JJ couldn't hide his snort when she brought up his type of women and Melo rolled his eyes.

Melo- If I have a thing for older women then why do I still keep you around?

Mariah- Cause I'm the only girl outside of your family who liked you before you were famous.

She remembered back in middle school when girls would make fun of her for hanging out with him because of how funny looking and weird they thought he was.

Melo- Wrong. You're so very wrong.

Raising an eyebrow, Mariah turned her body to face him again. She wanted to hear from him the reason he had her around.

Mariah- Then why am I here?

JJ- Yeah, why is she here?

Nobody had really ever explained to JJ what LaMelo and Mariah really were. It'd always been a big mystery to him. One day they were happily in love, the next he was dating Ashley and she was stuck in the friend zone. For a while he thought they were a weird throuple and he couldn't look at them the same for months. The thought made him sick.

Melo- Do you remember that time in second grade when I told everyone I wanted to be in the NBA and they all started making fun of me?

Mari chuckled, remembering that day very vividly. Those kids laughed their asses off and had him crying during lunchtime.

Mariah- When you started crying? Absolutely.

Melo- It's not funny, and I was actually crying because no one ever stood up for me the way you did. You started yelling at every single one of them, even our teacher. You called her a fat broke white bitch.

Both Mariah and JJ laughed at that last part. It sounded like something she'd do, but she either didn't remember it or blocked it out.

Mariah- I believe it.

Melo- Point is, you've been supporting me even when no one else did. Of course I'm gonna keep my number one supporter around. You're also my best friend and I just so happen to be in love with you.

Her support for him was the reason he fell so hard for her. Every time she looked at him he was reminded of a conversation they had during recess that day.

FLASHBACK

A seven year old LaMelo and Mariah sat next to each other on the swing set of the playground.

Melo- Do you think we're still gonna be friends when we get older?

He suddenly asked, which made Mariah turn her body towards him.

Mariah- Of course, why wouldn't we be?

Melo- I don't know. My brother Lonzo told me people don't stay friends when they grow up.

Mariah- Well tell him I said he's a liar, because I'm not going anywhere.

Melo- If I get drafted will you come with me?

Mariah- There's no if. You WILL get drafted, and yes. Of course I'll go. Remember we stick together, wherever you go I go. That's why they call us M&M.

LaMelo smiled at the girl in front of him. It was then when he knew she was the one he wanted to marry.

Melo- When I get drafted, the first thing I'm doing is putting a ring on your finger.

The girl's face scrunched up in confusion.

Mariah- A married people ring?

Melo- No stupid. A promise ring, or at least that's what I heard people on Tv call it.

Hearing this, Mari became even more confused. What type of television was he watching? She'd never heard someone talk about those rings.

Mariah- Oh. Well what's the promise?

Melo- That I'm gonna marry you someday.

Mariah- Yeah right. Like that'll ever happen.

She scoffed, shaking her head, not actually believing him. But little did she know he meant every single word.

END OF FLASHBACK

Not having Mariah there with him the night he was drafted fucked up his mental health for the longest time, and he couldn't blame anyone but himself. He was the reason she wasn't there.

Even though that night was all about him he still had the thought in the back of his mind that Mariah should've been there.

JJ- If you're in love with her, show her. Action's speak louder than words.

Jermaine was tired of hearing how much he loved Mari and for once he just wanted to see it with his own two eyes. For years all he saw was LaMelo treating her like garbage and her being in denial about it. He wanted change, and the only time he noticed Melo show his love was this trip.

Seeing how he treated Mariah when she was in the E.R after Sydney, Ana, and Nikki jumped her was the most emotion Jermaine had ever seen him give her besides anger.

Melo- Oh, I will. Believe that.

He already had a plan forming in his mind, and he was going to go through with it as soon as they landed back in Charlotte.