Heaven Is A Place On Earth With You

On backstage, dressed in a red corduroy dress matched with long brown boots, Anni-Frid nervously awaited her call. Tonight she would perform at the Gamla Stan Christmas Fair together with her group "Gunnar Sandevärn's Orchestra" in front of hundreds of citizens. Out there, the square was more crowded than usual, not only because of the celebration but also because "The Hep Stars" would be playing in a few moments and, what's more, for free. Earlier when they talked, Benny promised to be in the crowd watching her and even dared her to find him, which made it all more exciting. Besides, Agny would also be there along with Sølvi and Aunt Olive, so tonight things had to go well.

Anni-Frid let out a long sigh as she played with her hands; rubbing their palms together and interlacing her fingers. It was a good feeling; nervousness and anticipation. They would only play four songs, around twenty minutes, then it would be Benny's band concert and once they were done they would both get lost somewhere... or so he promised. The truth is, she longed to be alone with him, to enjoy his company. No more drama, no more tears.

The boys joined her, they would go up first. "Ready, star girl?" Gunnar asked rubbing his hands together and flashing his big smile in excitement.

"When have I not been ready?" Anni-Frid asked back amusingly.

"That's my girl!" He raised his hand in a give-me-five gesture that she seconded. "It's wild out there."

"It's a good chance."

"Definitely."

"Gunnar, let's go!" Lennart called to him from the stairs. Gunnar winked at Anni-frid one more time before following his bandmate.

She just stood there, doing one last vocal exercise. Would Benny be there? Could she get to see him? Butterflies filled her stomach at the thought. Finally, the music came from the stage and she recognized her entrance. Anni-Frid climbed the steps and went for it. Instantly her nerves were gone and she felt safe, right at home. As Gunnar said, the crowd was huge. All around were Christmas lights and smells of hot chocolate and coffee, exquisite, warm. Anni-Frid went to the center of the stage and took the microphone in her hand, she preferred it that way. She waited for the right note and let her voice work...

It felt good. Really good. Singing for others was another kind of happiness, enjoying it was a maximum pleasure. She loved this, she love this life. In fact, this's the life she wanted. Could she? Would Agny let her? It wouldn't be easy, but inside burned the desire to belong to the stage, to the music. To make the microphone her eternal companion. To make melodies her breath.

From the second row, Agny blew her granddaughter a kiss when their eyes met. Sølvi greeted her frantically, continuing to sing the soft tune that she herself heard her rehearse this morning at home, and Olive was looking at her with pride. Anni-Frid felt good to have her tiny family there. It was a warm feeling.

She finished the first song, but soon started the second. It was in this that she began the search. Her eyes wandered over each row, she got lost in the eighth as her eyes didn't allow her see further. She returned, taking care of her voice, trying not to get distracted enough. She grabbed the microphone cord and took a few steps to the right corner, not wanting to look like a statue just standing there. Then, right on that corner she collided with a pair of blue eyes. It was inevitable not to smile. Benny gave her a perfect, wide smile that almost made her levitate. Anni-Frid held her gaze for a while as she continued her singing. The way he looked at her; with admiration, with respect, with love, all of that together raised her straight to seventh heaven. He was her heaven.

The rest of the presentation went by fast, like a shooting star. However, Anni-Frid enjoyed every single moment up there. This is the injection of energy that she needed. Rejoining the group was, without a doubt, a wise decision. At the end of the last song, she and the boys joined in and bowed to the audience, who sent them off with loud applauses. Anni-Frid heard a "THAT'S MY COUSIN!" Among all the noise, she was able to identify Sølvi's voice. She searched for Benny where she saw him earlier but didn't find him. It was unavoidable not to get a bit disappointed. Maybe he couldn't stay after all, but she didn't blame him either, his own presentation was coming soon and surely he had to prepare himself.