Promises

Anni-Frid was lying face down on her bed while trying to solve a math problem, she was good at math, but she just couldn't concentrate today. Her eyes saw numbers but her mind was far away, trapped in Benny's car as he drove her home in the middle of the night, chatting, listening to music and laughing. She smiled sweetly as the sweet memory came, but that smile suddenly faded. She had been trying all week to ignore that feeling of emptiness inside, and must admit it didn't feel right. She spent the last five days getting him to call her, just as he promised. Anni-Frid held her breath for a moment. He promised it, didn't he? She huffed and lay on her back, staring up at the ceiling with hands on her abdomen. Maybe she misunderstood. He asked for her number to ask when the next performance would be, but hadn't called. What if he was no longer interested in seeing her.

Anni-Frid closed her eyes and put her hands on her forehead, as if that way she was able to restrain her thoughts. This was not right. She was there thinking of a boy who, most likely, did not even remember her. Maybe he was with another girl right now, or with his friends having fun, while she thought about when he would call her. It was not fair. But he was so cute, cuddly, chivalrous, interesting, even funny. She wanted to know more about him, the question was, he wanted to know more about her? She had his number, she could call, but she didn't want to be the one to do it first.

Anni-Frid sat down and took the book again. She couldn't afford to get distracted from studying all because of a boy. Not that she was the best in class, but school mattered. Agny had high expectations of her and Anni-Frid had to reciprocate. "Enough Benny Andersson," she told herself and continued with her math homework.

Two knocks on the door followed by a honey interrupted Anni-Frid, she let her grandmother enter. "All in order?" Agny asked once inside.

"Yes Mormor, all in order," she replied.

"Good. I'm going out to buy some fabrics I need," she checked her wristwatch. "I hope it won't take me that long, so I can make you dinner before you go to work."

"No worries, I'm not going to work tonight."

Agny frowned at her and leaned closer. "Why not?"

"Gunnar got sick with salmonellosis and he can't play like that, and since we couldn't find anyone to replace him we won't play," Anni-Frid explained.

"Oh, sorry to hear that. I hope he recovers soon," she approached her granddaughter and caressed her cheek, looking at her adoringly. "It's okay either way. You need to rest, it's been busy days."

"I know. I can't wait for the holidays."

Agny's eyes widened. "Oh honey! Your last winter dance is coming! I will take advantage of the fact that I will go downtown and see beautiful fabrics for your dress."

Anni-Frid smiled, she loved those dances. "That would be amazing, yes. But it's still a couple of weeks away."

"Not many. Your birthday is in two weeks and the dance in two more. One month! Oh my gosh, this will be your last semester and you're going to college," she put a hand to her mouth and her eyes filled with tears. At what point she grew up?

Anni-Frid felt somewhat uncomfortable by that comment, and her grandmother's reaction didn't help. She got up and hugged her. "It's fine Mormon, there is no reason to think about that now. I'm still here." The truth is that she did not want to think about the future and what that entailed. She was not ready.

Agny took her face in her hands and kissed her cheek. "I love you, you know that, right?"

"Of course I know. I love you too," she said sincerely.

The older one smiled widely. Anni-Frid was her adoration. "Good," she pulled away and wiped her face. "Ignore my tears, I'm getting old," she giggled. "Anything you need? Books? Notebooks? Maybe shampoo?"