B&A

Anni-Frid smoothed her dress as she checked that her hairstyle was steady in front of the mirror in the small room. She was quite nervous. It was Friday night and she had a presentation, in a few minutes she would go on stage, but it wasn't exactly that what got her nerves but the fact that in a couple of hours it would be her birthday. She would naturally be excited, but this afternoon Benny called to tell her to wait for him after the presentation, alluding that he wanted to be the first to congratulate her to later take her home. So the excitement was double, the pure idea of seeing Benny increased the excitement within her.

By hearing her name, Anni-Frid knew it was her time, so she came out of the small room and walked down the hall to the restaurant stage. She went up to the stage where the boys had previously been playing and stood in front of the microphone, they began to play again a song that she knew very well and began to sing. She loved it, singing was giving shape to her dreams. Anni-Frid looked around the place; it was half full, all the diners enjoying their food and some others looking at her, but she was looking for his gaze. Yet so, she did not find him. He was not there.

Anni-Frid forced herself to ignore the disappointment that threatened to well up inside. Benny was supposed to be there, he said so. She closed her eyes and continued singing as her mind worked. What if he forgot? No, he would never forget it. What if he had an accident and couldn't get here? Do not even think about it! The song was finished and she received the applause of the public. She smiled the best she could and again looked for him. But no, Benny was not here. She sighed in exasperation and Gunnar, who was next to her, asked if she was alright to which she just nodded.

Time passed quickly as song after song ended. When she least thought, the show was over and the restaurant started to get empty. Anni-Frid got off the stage and went quickly to the room, the first thing she did was check the time; 12:08 a.m. It was already her birthday. Even if tried, she could not help but feel a little disappointed, she believed that this day would start differently. The boys entered and one by one congratulated her. "Happy birthday, Frida!"

She gladly received their hugs and loving words, they were like her second family. To tell the truth she felt quite grateful to have them in her life, they taught her valuable things, they cared and loved her. "Thank you very much," she thanked them a little touched.

"We should go celebrate," Lennart said brightly.

"How about my house?" Gunnar pointed out

Anni-Frid fervently denied. "No, not this time. I just want to go home to sleep."

"Oh, come on! It's your birthday and the day is just beginning," Lennart insisted.

"Thanks, but no."

"It's okay, we will celebrate in the evening," Ragnar interfered. "We'll bring a cake and play for you."

Anni-Frid smiled. "That sounds good. I don't know what I'll do yet though." It was true. She was hoping she could do something with Benny, but since he didn't show up tonight when he had already made the promise, then she didn't know what to expect from him at the moment. "I'll call you to let you know."

"Deal done, miss!" Gunnar shook his hand in a give me five and she did.

"Meanwhile we will take you home," Ragnar sentenced, and Anni-Frid agreed with a sigh.

The four of them left the restaurant, the boys were very talkative but sadly she couldn't keep the rhythm; she was disappointed, it was the truth. Anni-Frid adjusted her coat and grabbed her bag tightly as a gust of wind hit her. "Can you hurry up? I'm freezing!" she said through clenched teeth. She would have to stop wearing dresses and opt for pants, so the cold would be more tolerable. She liked to look good on stage, the performance was important and going on stage in jeans and coat just seemed awful to her.