Midnight Love

The soft night breeze broke through the window, it was comforting and calming, on nights like this Anni-Frid would take refuge in the gifts of nature. She lay awake in the dark, staring at the edges of the wall while trying to define a shape to each them, so maybe her mind could rest. She was restless, confused and even upset. The last days were just as predicted; complete chaos. The press found her, and since then the phone had been ringing off the hook asking to speak to her for an interview, everybody wanting to meet Benny Andersson's new girlfriend. Although must admite the term "new" bothered her. How many girlfriends had Benny had in the past? She was unaware of his past, she heard rumors but preferred not to pay attention, they meant nothing to her when Benny showed her the prettiest side of himself.

However, this was new and overwhelming. Laila and Benny assured her that both she and Agny had their full protection and that they would hire security if necessary, an offer they politely declined as they felt it was unnecessary. Anni-Frid knew in advance that she had to be careful, she knew it the moment Laila mentioned something about "legal matters", a topic that Benny deliberately asked to avoid, which reminded her of Ragnar's words "Frida, don't sign anything. Don't let them get that far." What exactly was he referring to? And what legal matters was also Mrs. Andersson referring to? She was just Benny's girlfriend, a super star? Yes, but in the end just another boy. Either way, she had her doubts, and since she was already involved she had the right to clarify them, she could go to Laila and ask her directly, or Ragnar... but no, he wasn't an option.

Anni-Frid sighed and rolled onto her back, now looking up at the ceiling. She needed Benny to clear all her doubts, but he was home and soon miles away. Just at that moment the local clock resounded throughout the municipality, it was twelve midnight on Wednesday. Anni-Frid's heart clenched; in a few hours Benny would be traveling away from her for two weeks, just when she felt most stalked. This afternoon they said goodbye but it was hurried since he still had pending things to do, he promised to call her and with a sweet kiss on her forehead he left, leaving her with her heart beating with contained love. Anni-Frid was determined, she couldn't take it anymore, the feeling was growing too fast and it was drowning her, the next time she saw him she would confess her love to him.

Anni-Frid sighed and adjusted the covers to her body, she needed to sleep to face the morning, which would surely be like the last few hours. She turned, this time toward the door, but didn't close her eyes, just stared into space; the light of the moon entered freely through the window creating shadows everywhere, Anni-Frid perceived an unusual movement in the shadows, the silhouette of a man in the window made her jump out of bed. With heart in her throat, Anni-Frid turned on the lamp and as a reflex action she took an umbrella that was next to her bed. She was about to scream when the intruder made himself known. "Hey, it's me!" Benny hissed.

Anni-Frid blinked several times, holding the umbrella in front of her in defensive mode, finding it hard to believe what she was seeing. Benny in the middle of the night climbing through her bedroom window? "Benny," she murmured breathlessly.

Benny was holding on to the edge of the window and looking at her with amusement. "I'm not a ghost, I promise."

He was crazy, that was a fact. Anni-Frid dropped the umbrella and brought her hands to her chest. "Enough!" she hissed. "You're getting into the habit of scaring me away!"

"Sorry, can you give me a hand?"

Anni-Frid helped him into the room trying not to make too much noise since Agny was sleeping, she wouldn't like to hear about this visit. Instinctively, Anni-Frid turned off the lamp, she felt exposed being only in her pajamas in front of Benny. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be home sleeping? You leave early in the morning."