Chapter 17

Startled, Sierra frowned. "What's the matter?" She was sitting on the floor playing with Angie when Brittany burst in.

Brittany roughly picked up a blanket Angie had. "This is not for your brat. How dare you ruin his things? Who do you think you are? Coming into my house and taking stuff that doesn't belong to you."

"Zane gave that to her. I know about your brother."

"You don't know shit! Don't touch his stuff! I don't care if Dad said it was okay, I'm telling you, it's not!"

"Then take whatever you want to save out of her room." Sierra hoped that would make her happy.

"It's not her room! It will always be his!"

"You can talk to Zane about that. He had to take care of something. He should still be in his office." Now she hoped to be left in peace.

"Fine, I'll do that." Giving Sierra and Angie a last glare, she stomped out.

Pausing outside her father's office, she knocked and waited for him to let her in. What she saw made her jaw drop. There was another desk, which was obviously for Sierra, and a play area for the pup.

"Hi honey." Zane finished clicking a few keys before looking up at her. "Everything alright?"

"No, it's not. Did you give this to that pup?" She held the blue and grey blanket tight.

"Yes, she loves that blanket, drags it everywhere." He smiled and lightly laughed. "Why do you have it?"

"It was his." Tears formed in her eyes. She wanted to be mad, not sad.

"Oh baby." He got up and hugged her. "It's time to move on. I miss him, but clinging to items meant for him isn't necessary. It doesn't mean we've forgotten about him."

"Why are they living with us? It doesn't make any sense. She's my age! And she already has a pup? You could do so much better than her!"

Xavier growled at her disrespect for his mate.

Chill out! Brittany doesn't understand.

She was shocked that her dad actually growled at her. She couldn't remember the last time he ever did that. "Dad?"

"I'm sorry." He cleared his throat. "Xav doesn't like when others talk about Sierra like that. I know to you, it seems odd, but I love her. I've handled this badly. I should've talked to you about Sierra before, but I didn't know how. I realize you don't understand, but that doesn't mean you can take your frustration out on her. She needs us. She's been through more pain than you can imagine. I want you to be friends with her. If that's too much to ask right now, you at least need to get along. She's not going anywhere."

She pulled away from him. "You'd pick her over me?"

"Why do you think there's a choice of you or her? You're our daughter. You will always be our daughter, and we love you."

"But you love her, too."

"There's no end to love. I don't love her more or less than I love you. It's a different love."

"So you are replacing mom?"

"Your mother was my mate, and she died over ten years ago. Sierra could never replace Tracy. She's not trying to."

Could've fooled me. I guess she's fooled him.

You need to stop acting like this. Dad has made it clear that she isn't going anywhere.

"I don't want her pup in his room."

Zane sighed. "I don't care what you want. Angie is now my daughter. You'll have to get used to her being around and stop using him as a crutch."