CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

I'm glad we had that one-on-one time with mom once again. She has opened up so much and if I wasn't there to witness the process, I wouldn't even recognize her personality.

It would have been a magical experience for me and my mother, except I kept looking out the window, afraid to see the ghost from the past that kidnapped my son.

"So, what's next?" I ask my mom, sounding like her chauffeur.

Mom hangs her beautiful dress, wrapped in a huge garment bag, in the backseat hanger of my car. Benji starts whining that he can't see out the other window, but we both advise him to look out his window.

"Let's go check out the location," she says with less enthusiasm than before. I guess a whining toddler is not the perfect company for wedding chores.

The wedding venue is actually not that far from the bridal shop. It takes us roughly twenty minutes to reach the country club my mom and Alexi have booked for the wedding. This is my first time seeing the place.

A beautiful green alley leads us to a big white building. I can see why my mom picked out this place, instead of any other. This is so her, and as soon as I step out of my car, I feel like I can finally breathe. A fresh breeze gently caresses my cheeks. I close my eyes and breathe in and out for a minute, without saying a word. Then I notice my mom looking at me, smiling.

"You understand why I have to have my wedding here, right?" she says happily.

"Absolutely. This is amazing. I think they produce their own air here because that's not what we have in the city."

My mum starts laughing.

A moment later a very skinny woman in a pencil skirt, strict white blouse and tightly pinned hair approaches us. Her attire looks so uncomfortable, yet somehow, she pulls off the look.

"Miss Gilmond?" she asks, as she looks at me, then at my mother, and back at me.

"She's the bride," I say immediately, pointing at my mother, and duck inside my car to unclip Benji from his seat. Enough embarrassment for me for not being the one getting married.

"Yes, thank you for meeting us. We're here to talk about some last-minute details," my mom talks to the woman.

"Good, great, perfect," the lady says, her bright red lipstick shimmering in the lowering sunlight, "My name is Miss Fox and I'll be your assistant on your wedding day. Please, follow me." The woman has a very straightforward attitude, we are not even getting a friendly smile.

She guides us inside the building to show us that the wedding preparations have already begun. White tablecloths are being set on the table. The chairs are getting their beautiful white bows rearranged. A bunch of people are working hard for this place to look magical. I wonder how much money Alexi had to spend to get the venue at the last minute and all done in time for the wedding. This reminds me, I have to talk to my mom about Alexi.

"...and I have a note here that white roses are the preferred flowers for the arrangements?" I hear Miss Fox ask my mother.

"Yes, absolutely. The more the merrier, but not too much, right?" my mom replies.

"Good, great, perfect," the woman replies.

Half of the conversation goes past me as I keep exploring the place, answering Benji's random questions about the building and the wedding in general. He's been walking around with me, clenching my arm and tugging me in different directions.

When I finally reach the other side of the building, I see a breathtaking sunset-view, with the city backdrop. We're in the dining area and I'm sure all the guests will be baffled by the amazing view. Something to look forward to.

This house was built for weddings, every corner of it screams romance. I can imagine where all the beautiful wedding photos will be taken, the scenery is perfect. I keep reassuring myself that one day I will have the wedding of my dreams.

"So, what do you think?" mom asks me after she's done talking to Miss Fox.

"It's good, it's great, it's perfect," I quote the woman, who's now out of earshot, talking to her workers.

"I know, right? As soon as I saw this place, I knew this was it," she beams with joy.

"I'm so happy to see you this happy," I say as I hug her.

"I'm happy to be happy," she replies, "After so many years, I finally feel like I'm living again."

"I'm hungry," Benji announces and puts a definite stop to our happy tears. I pick him up and both me and my mom hug him between us.