57*

"Do you believe me?
That I'll be right for you
Say you love me as you used to."

DOUBLE UPDATE!

-

THE AUCTION.

I wish life were simple.

If it were, I could have become a neurosurgeon and pursued my medical research. Maybe my father would still be here with my mother, and maybe I wouldn't have been deprived of love and a happy childhood.

Maybe I could've been normal – just been another nobody.

And maybe I'd still be able to have children. I'd have hope for the future, and maybe, I'd still have Harry. Maybe we'd be together and happy.

Maybe he wouldn't hate me.

But life isn't simple.

When I first saw him, I thought my mind had been playing tricks on me. I stopped breathing and began to shake with a fear that stabbed my soul.

Mason.

Seeing him after our breakup was always painful, not because I still loved him, but when I saw him, I was reminded of how weak I was. I'm reminded of how he used me, how he cheated on me, and how I allowed it because having some love was better than none.

He hurt me.

Just when I thought he couldn't possibly take anything else from me, he did. He stands on stage with that same smile I used to adore; only now can I see the depths of how wicked it was. My research was up for grabs. He was selling it – selling my life's work. He said it was "incomplete" but "promising." Then, he presented a flash drive—the words "human trials" and "successful" rang in my ears. The crowd began to whisper all around me.

Successful?

It worked?

All my research has been experimental. Dr. Thatcher and Mason worked alongside me for years as I started collecting data during my junior year in college. I wanted everything to be perfect before sending it to trials. Except, I never made it that far. I discontinued my work a long time ago, and now I'm watching it being sold.

Fuck. Did it really work?

Then, the bidding began, and for once in my life, I could see, face to face, the corruption of man. People were willing to steal somebody else's works for what – fame? Recognition? Reputation? Money?

I never wanted any of that. I just wanted to help people.

Even now, Mason makes me feel dirty. I've been played, lied to, cheated on, and used by him repeatedly. Even now, he strips me of my dignity. Even after he's out of my life, he's still using me.

I wasn't just hurt. Oh, I was far more than just that.

"Allie?" Its Louis. I hear his gentle voice from over the earpiece in my ear. "What are you doing, love?" The pity in his voice makes me miserable. "You shouldn't be out there."

I hear Harry's voice from my earpiece. He still sounds furious, and not having him in my corner right now is really breaking my heart. "What's going on?" He snapped. "I thought I told you to stay put-"

"It's Mason." Saying his name made this all so much worse. Saying his name made this real.

No, no, no.

"Oh my God," I said brokenly, and I felt weak and pathetic as I began to feel sick physically. What are they even doing here? What's going on? I rest my hand on my belly and say it again because I feel robbed of my own fucking life. "Oh, my God."