28. Nobody Likes A Secret

Elle

5:24 pm. 5:25 pm. 5:26 pm.

The minutes seem to pass as slowly as ever as I wait for a message from Harry. We had kept up with our questions game this week, each of us asking a question in turns. But even though we had texted every day, I just wish we could have seen each other at least once.

Instead, It feels like I blinked and the whole week was gone, Sunday now looming over me, like the grey skies on a rainy day.

Nervously my fingers tap the screen of my phone, patiently waiting for an answer to the question I had sent him today. I pick it up, unlocking the screen, rereading what I had sent almost two hours ago.

If you could spend today however you
wanted to, what would you do?

The clock strikes 5:30 pm and I find myself staring at the screen as if a message would just magically appear. Hastily I type things out, only to delete them right after.

Maybe I should just text him, again. But— No.

I sigh dropping my phone into my lap, my eyes now focused on the TV running in the background.

Why couldn't he just answer me?

"Who are you texting with?" Finneas questions, sitting down next to me.

My head snaps up, as I suddenly feel my phone getting pulled out of my lap.

"Finn!" I yell out, jumping up to try and snatch my phone out of his hands.

"Give it back! Giveme–"

He just laughs, holding me off with his free hand. Excitedly, he continues to scroll his way through my unlocked phone and the messages I had exchanged with Harry.

"Harry, Harry, Harry," he mumbles, shaking his head and grinning like an idiot.

"What?" I exclaim, still trying to get my phone back from him, "has he answered?"

He lets go of me, placing my phone in my hand and I sit back down next to him. I look at my phone but there wasn't a new message.

"He didn't answer, I was just reading through a few of those cheeky messages," Finn exclaims, with a grin still stuck on his face.

"Have you ever heard of this silly little concept called 'privacy'?" I question, shooting him an angry look.

"I'm your brother, there's no such thing as privacy," he retorts half laughing, "especially not when it comes to you dating someone."

I huff in annoyance.

"But I can tell that Harry is a good guy. He makes you happy and I can see that. So, you have my approval."

His smile fades in a split second, a painful expression now laying on his face. "After everything, a guy like Harry is exactly what you need, Cherry. It's what you deserve," he whispers and I can tell by the pain in his voice, that he was thinking back to the conversation we shared earlier this week.

It wasn't an easy one, but I know I needed to tell Finneas about everything that went down between Ben and me. I needed to speak it out loud to believe it. To move on from it. And it felt good, that he finally knew. But I could tell that there was a part of him that was blaming himself for not interfering before something could have happened. For not interfering before the past would be repeating itself.

But none of it was his fault. It was purely mine, stupid enough to keep on finding myself in the same pattern.

I breathe in deeply, whispering a quick 'thank you'.