11. One too many

Elle

Chardonnay or Sauvignon-Blanc? Damn it, I wish I knew more about this sort of stuff!

I grab the Chardonnay knowing it was a decent bottle of wine. After Harry had told me that he'd be buying everything we needed tonight, I knew I couldn't just show up with nothing.

The least I could do is bring a bottle of wine, even though I knew he'd probably be buying one as well. At least I'm trying here. Perhaps, I should be bringing something else, but I just don't have a clue anymore after not seeing him for so long.

But there was one other thing on my mind, that I needed to do. Tell Ben. It was the one task I pushed through the whole afternoon hoping it would just disappear. I know he doesn't particularly like Harry.

No. Actually. That is probably the understatement of the year. From the day he first met him, he hated his guts. Now if you're asking yourself, why? You can ask yourself that a whole lot longer because in my humble opinion, I do not see a single reason for it, other than jealousy that was completely out of place.

I sigh knowing that it was best if I'd just tell him now. I couldn't avoid it any longer than I already had. Pulling my phone out of my pocket I quickly open it up and before I even get the chance to change my mind, I press the call button. The eerie noise of the empty line echoes through my mind as I wait for Ben to pick up the phone. After what felt like an eternity, but must have been seconds, I could hear someone answer on the other end.

"Hey, Elle. What do you need? You know I'm at work."

Okay. Now don't freak out and just mention it casually.

"Hey, soo... You know that I should try and get a few songs done as quickly as possible, right?"

"Yes. You said that the other day." I could hear he was annoyed just from the way he answered me.

"Can you promise to be nice and not be mad at me?"

He sighs, seemingly frustrated that I was taking so long. "Elle, can you just get to the point, please? Some of us are actually working, you know?"

Some of us... Ignoring his comment to avoid further discussions, I take a deep breath in, preparing myself to get it all out in one sentence.

"Soo... I have this song that I really, really need to finish, because now that Finneas has uploaded my first song and people are actually listening to it, it is the perfect time, to try and speak with some labels, to see if they like my music and I can get a contract. So, this morning I –"

"Elle, didn't I tell you to get to the point? I don't care about the rest just tell me why you called, please." His voice echoes through the phone.

"For fucks sake." He mumbles, probably thinking I didn't hear him, but I did.

I gather the last bits of my confidence, before I open my mouth again, my heart starting to beat faster, as I think about the different ways this conversation could go.

"I met Harry this morning and he said if I needed help with the song, we could meet up this evening at –"

I pause for a second, realizing it was probably not a good idea to tell him that he invited me over for dinner. I didn't want him to get the wrong impression and blow up over nothing, because I know there was no possibility in the world that Harry and I would ever hook up. And that I would ever cheat on him. Ben just had a habit of jumping to conclusions way too quickly and if I could avoid a fight, I usually did. Even if it made me feel bad.