12. Delicious Things

Song: Delicious Things - Wolf Alice

***

Elle

I look up to find a worried look in his eyes, as he opens his mouth to speak.

"You don't have to answer this if you don't feel comfortable." He mutters, his hand still resting on mine.

I pull my wine glass and my hand with it away, trying to not let Harry's touch distract me. "No, no it's okay." Pushing a smile onto my lips, to let him know I am fine, I open my mouth again. "If I answer this, it's my turn after. Okay?"

He nods frantically, seemingly impatient for me to answer.

"My dad always used to cook Lasagna with me when I was little. It reminds me of him. That's all there is." I press out, trying to get the words out as quickly as possible.

I wasn't ready to talk more about the subject than I had to. At some point it would come up, especially knowing that every passing day meant, that we were getting one day closer to the worst day of my life.

"It reminds you of your-"

"No more questions!" I warn him in a strict tone, reminding Harry of what I said only seconds before.

"Right... I guess it's your turn then." He comments, sounding a little disappointed.

While I think, I watch Harry as he continues to cook dinner for us. He's just about to finish layering up the Lasagna, putting it into the oven before he turns around, our eyes locking as he does, to give me his full attention.

I take the last sip of wine, knowing I'd need the liquid courage to ask the next question.

"Do you ever wish you would be doing something else? Like does it ever get too much for you?"

I look at Harry, whose face instantly shows a more serious look, compared to earlier. His eyebrows furrow together, his eyes staring at the ceiling. I can hear him breathe out audibly.

Maybe I should have asked a different question.

His eyes shift back around, now focusing on me. "Jeez Elle, I thought we were starting with the easier questions?"

"You don't have to answer it if you're not comfortable with the que-"

"No, no! I'll answer. You just caught me off guard. That's all."

My eyes follow him as he walks up to the fridge, grabbing the bottle of wine to fill up both our glasses. He takes his glass and walks into the living room, sitting down on the massive brown leather sofa. His hand taps the spot next to him in a quick motion, suggesting that I sit down next to him. I make my way towards him, his eyes not shying away from me, as I do so.

The moment I sit down, I can feel him turn his body in my direction, his eyes searching for mine. It was one of those little things I liked about him.

When Harry speaks to you, he can make you feel like you are the only people to exist in this world. It doesn't matter whether you have a conversation with him in a room full of people or in private, with no one around.

Perhaps it was the way his eyes lock with yours when you talk to him, not shying away for one second, making sure you know that his focus is solely on you. Or the way his body would always be turned in the direction you are, his scent moving in around you, making you feel at ease and listened to. Not many people had this ability, but Harry? He seemed to do it with such ease and completely unintentionally, which amazed me even more.