01. New Beginnings

A FEW WEEKS EARLIER

Elle

What are we supposed to choose?

'Good or bad' and 'right or wrong?
To play it safe or to desperately fall in love?
To live an ordinary life, work a job that gets you through, or risk everything and do something that truly makes you happy, that lets every cell of your body feel the endorphins streaming through your veins?

Perhaps the answers are found deep within our stories, stories filled with joy, tears, and lessons. Within the decisions, we made years ago and the ones we make every day, thinking it didn't matter. But it does. Otherwise, I wouldn't have found myself here, risking it all and starting the life that I wanted.

A lot of things stuck with me over the years. But I have this one core memory of what my dad used to tell me. Thinking back to his wise words always made me realise that this was the right decision.

"You know Love, there comes a time, when you have to decide between never knowing what could have been or taking the risk and maybe, just maybe getting everything. Whenever you don't know what to do, always take the risk, dear. It may lead you somewhere you never thought was possible. Have courage and be kind, Cherry."

These words mainly did it for me. They gave me the courage to take the risk, move to a different country and start over. But when I moved here about one and a half years ago, I never thought about the twists and turns my life could take. And I definitely didn't think that I'd end up in this mess of a life I had right now.

"Thank you." A pedestrian that was walking by, threw some money in the guitar case in front of me, snapping me back into reality. And the reality was, that life sucks. At least right now.

As I play the last chords, my thoughts grow louder in my head. Thoughts I can't seem to ignore anymore. What was I doing here? For the past year, I worked my ass off, working two jobs, all while trying to make it as an artist and I got nowhere.

"One year. You had one freaking year and look where it got you? Nowhere!"

He was right. I wasn't where I thought I would be. I still found myself basking at places like Venice beach in the hopes of suddenly getting discovered. But this was my passion and I promised myself I wouldn't give up on it.

I look up into the group of people watching me, my eyes wandering through the crowd, curiously scanning people's faces as if I was looking for someone. I keep on shifting my eyes from face to face, until I notice someone standing quite in the back of the crowd, a hood pulled over his head, his eyes holding my gaze in place. Without me noticing, my feet carry me forward a few steps, my eyes squeezing themselves together, trying to make out if it is him or if I am just imagining things.

A nervous feeling spreads through my body, as I feel the urge to walk up to him, pull him aside and see if this is Harry. But I don't give in.

This isn't him. I must be imagining things, wishing it was him. My feet manage to stay right where they are, as I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. I pull it out to check the messages I had gotten.

Drew: Your brother is a bit worried about you, you alright??

Finneas: Can you please answer me? Are you back in town?