Chapter 10 - Rainy day

Everyone runs for the train station getting soaked by the unexpected shower. Sam laughs, Ereen complains, and the others silently curse the clouds. Everyone makes it to the station and catches their breath.

"Well, that was exciting," Sam says with a giant grin plastered across her face.

"I... Beg... To differ." Ereen breathlessly retorts.

"The train won't be here for another five minutes." Yon explains to everyone, checking the train schedule on his phone, "Let's hope the train isn't too full."

Five minutes pass quickly, and the train slowly stops at the station. Yon jinxed the group because once the train doors open, they see it's filled with people.

"What do we do now?" Kanna looks down, worried they might be stuck.

Yon thinks for a moment and comes up with a solution.

"Ok, well, there's enough for some of us, so two of us will have to stay."

Everyone looks at each other and wonders who will be the two who have to stay.

"I'll stay here." Yon smiles at everyone.

"I'll stay too!" Kanna looks at her brother, confident in her decision.

"No. You're all wet and could get sick. You're going home."

Kanna looks down, sad that her brother didn't accept her proposal of them staying together.

"Don't be sad, I'm just looking out for you, ok? Lincoln, Sam, you two should go as well and make sure Kanna gets home safe."

Lincoln and Sam agree, and the three board the train. Ereen, Kareen, and Yui, all three look at each other, deciding on who will stay, but before they decide together, Yui comes forward.

"I'll stay."

They all look at Yui, surprised.

"Are you sure?" Yon asks, a little concerned.

"Yep! I'm ok. I didn't get too wet, thanks to my hoodie."

Yui, proud of her hoodie, plays with the strings around the collar. Ereen and Kareen thank the two of them before also boarding the train. Yui and Yon wave them off as they wait for the next train together. The two sit on a bend nearby.

"Today sure was a lot, wasn't it?" Yon smiles at Yui.

She blushes at him, embarrassed that the two are alone together, "Y-Yeah. It was fun, though."

"It really was. I'm glad you came. It makes me happy seeing you smile."

Yui now has a big smile on her face, "It makes me happy seeing you smile too."

The two sit blushing and sharing a smile together. The rain makes peaceful tapping sounds against the tin roof above them. Yui thinks about how much fun she had with everyone, and how she doesn't want to lose any of them. She frowns and remembers her past friends who hurt her so badly. She looks down at her feet.

"Hey Yon." she says shyly.

Yon looks over at Yui. "What's wrong?"

"You don't think you guys will start... Hating me... Do you?"

Her question surprises Yon, and he remembers the story about how poorly her past friends treated her. He takes a deep breath.

"I can't speak for everyone."

Yui starts to tear up at the thought of one of them hurting her.

"But what I can say is that I won't ever hate you."

Yui looks up at Yon with a surprised expression.

"And that everyone that was here today is good people."

Yui cries. She stands up and softly yells at Yon.

"How do you know you won't hate me? You barely know me! Even if they are good people, how am I supposed to trust them?" She throws her hands out and continues to cry.

"So don't trust them." Yon stands with Yui.

"Instead, trust me." He looks into Yui's eyes, his face reflecting off her soft blue eyes, and her looking into his sharp and focused red eyes. 

She stops crying and feels warmth come over her. "What is this feeling?"

Her heart beats fast, and her mind goes blank. She feels calm and happy. The two stare softly at each other, Yon smiling at her, and Yui looking surprised at how kind Yon is being to her.

"Now let's sit back down and rest. We've had a long day, and I know you still got soaked, even with that hoodie."

Yon sits down, inviting Yui to sit back beside him. She sits down beside Yon and sniffles a little.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a burden."

Yon looks at Yui. "You are not a burden. Don't be sorry for being sad."

She smiles and can't understand why he is so kind to her. The two sit in silence while Yui thinks more about how wonderful they all really are, especially Yon. She stares at him while he looks out the nearby window at the rain clouds.

Two hours pass and the next train finally arrives at the station for the remaining two left in the group. Yui and Yon happily board the train and take their seats, completely out of energy from the long day.

"I can't wait to get home and get a bath." Yon smiles and imagines a nice hot bath.

"Me too..." Yui sits wavering back and forth, barely awake.

"I bet you're absolutely ex-"

Yui suddenly falls asleep, falling against Yon's arm. Surprised, she fell asleep so quickly. He just smiles and sits silent.

"I guess you really were tired, huh?" he whispers.

Yon watches as Yui sleeps soundly against his arm. The train moves, and the two depart for home, Yui sleeping peacefully, and Yon happy to be a pillow. Thirty minutes pass and the train reaches its station.

"Hey, Yui."

Yon pokes at her to wake her up. Yui slowly opens her eyes and rubs them. She looks around and then understands that she was asleep against Yon. Her face goes blood red and panics.

"Oh, my god! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to!"

Yon giggles at how frantically Yui acts.

"It's ok! It's ok! Nothing happened. You just seemed so tired I let you sleep. It's no big deal."

Yui, still embarrassed, can't find the words to say. The two exit the train onto the station. It's not raining at this station and the two are happy they won't have to deal with rain anymore. Yon walks Yui to her home and says his goodbyes to her. Yui smiles as Yon leaves.

"It really was a good day."

Yon finally makes it home.

"Kanna! I'm home!"

He takes off his shoes and steps into the house. He waits for a response from Kanna, but never gets one.

"I guess she already went to bed."

Yon heads upstairs and gets some dry clothes to change into. He heads to the bathroom, ready for a nice warm bath. He opens the door and, to his horror, his sister is standing there wrapped in a towel. Their eyes meet and a brief pause happens before the two realize what just happened. They both scream and Yon slams the door.

"I'm so sorry!"

Yon runs down the hall into his room and slams the door. His sister stands in the bathroom, embarrassed about what just happened.

"He really is a pervert..."