Chapter 5 - Ereen's past

The nurses' office was cold and quiet, with the school nurse engrossed in her book, legs crossed and glasses slightly tilted down. Two students lay unconscious in separate beds. Sitting between them, Kareen patiently waits for one of them to wake up. Her face filled with disappointment at what had transpired.

"So they were fighting because of you?" The school nurse looks at Kareen with annoyance. "Not exactly..." Kareen sighs, visibly frustrated.

Sam had lost control of her anger and attacked Ereen. She pushed Ereen to the floor and began scratching, punching, and thrashing her while screaming unintelligibly. After some time, Ereen managed to push her off, and the two stood face to face, exchanging punches until they knocked each other out. The lunchroom watched the chaotic scene unfold, disappointed with the outcome. Kareen, along with a teacher, brought the unconscious girls to the nurses' office.

Kareen sits by Ereen's side, her expression reflecting concern mixed with a hint of resentment. She scoffs and looks away. "Idiot... we used to be friends." She mumbles to herself. She sighs and then shifts her gaze to Sam, who starts to stir. Sam slowly opens her eyes and instinctively brings a hand to her head, wincing in pain.

"Ugh... my head... what happened?" Sam groans. Kareen glances at her with annoyance, rolling her eyes. "You lost control and attacked Ereen." She stands up and walks over to Sam's bedside, placing her hands on her hips and adopting a smug expression. "What was that all about, huh? Do I look like someone who needs protection?"

Sam blushes and looks away shyly, desperately searching for an explanation. After a moment, she leans forward slightly; her face still flushed from the confrontation. "No! I... I just felt like you didn't deserve to be treated that way," she says hesitantly. "Hmph." Kareen crosses her arms and averts her gaze. She sighs and then relaxes, her arms falling to her sides.

"Well, I guess you didn't mean any harm by it, but you can't go around attacking people like a wild animal." Sam sits up straight in her bed, her face growing even redder with embarrassment. "I wasn't attacking her like an animal! I... I just..." Sam shakes her head back and forth as if trying to shake off the embarrassment. Kareen laughs softly, covering her mouth. Sam stops shaking her head and sits silently, looking at Kareen before joining in the laughter. The two girls laugh together, the sound filling the room. In the other bed, Ereen listens to their laughter, having just woken up, a mix of emotions swirling inside her.

The nurse stands up, closing her book and placing it on the counter. She adjusts her glasses and prepares to leave, reminding the girls of their need to attend class once they feel better. "Ahem. I have a meeting to attend, so if you two have no further questions, I will take my leave now. Kareen, make sure you get to class, and the same goes for you once you're ready."

The girls' laughter subsides as they meet the nurse's stern gaze. "Yes, ma'am," Kareen responds, her voice slightly shaken. "Thank you, I will," Sam adds, bowing her head respectfully. The nurse nods at them before departing. Kareen and Sam look at each other, their laughter bubbling up again. Sam pauses mid-laugh, captivated by the sweet sound of Kareen's laughter. A bright smile appears on Sam's face.

"You have a cute laugh, Kareen." Kareen stops laughing, momentarily taken aback by the unexpected compliment. She stares at Sam, her face turning red, and her hands shoot up in a flustered manner. "Where did that come from!?" she asks frantically.

Sam laughs, enjoying Kareen's frantic reaction. Meanwhile, across the room, underneath her blanket, Ereen lies lost in thought. Memories of the past flood her mind, recalling the time when she and Kareen were best friends, and everything changed during their final year of high school.

Two years ago, before entering Utopia College, Ereen and Kareen were in their last year of high school. They had been close friends since their early school years, growing closer with each passing year. They shared daily lunches, went shopping together after school, and even had sleepovers. But during the last week of high school, after their graduation, Ereen mustered up the courage to reveal her true feelings to Kareen.

The two girls found themselves alone on the school rooftop, reminiscing about their time in high school. Ereen smiled at Kareen. "It's been a lot of fun, hasn't it? I'm excited about college." Kareen chuckled, "You're such a nerd, always excited about school."

Blushing, Ereen playfully nudged Kareen. They shared a short laugh, and as the laughter faded, they stood side by side, leaning against the railings, gazing out at the school grounds. The wind picked up, causing tree leaves to dance through the air. The setting sun bathed the leaves in a shimmering glow, creating a serene atmosphere.

Lost in the silence and the beauty of the moment, Ereen broke the stillness by turning to Kareen, her expression serious and determined. "Hey, Kareen," Ereen said sternly. Taken aback by this sudden serious attitude, Kareen looked over at Ereen, surprise evident on her face. She straightened her posture and turned her body to face Ereen, tilting her head slightly to the right.

"What's the matter?" Kareen asked, puzzled. Ereen took a step forward, her face flushed and small beads of sweat forming on her forehead. "Kareen, I love you!" she declared assertively. The two girls locked eyes, a moment of anticipation hanging in the air. Kareen continued to gaze at Ereen, her expression shifting to a bright, cheerful smile. She chuckled lightly.

"I love you too!" Kareen replied happily. She walked towards Ereen and enveloped her in a tight embrace. The two shared a warm moment, Ereen's face beaming with joy at Kareen's acceptance of her feelings. But in an instant, everything turned sour with just a few words.

"You're my best friend, after all! So of course I love you." Ereen's face returned to its normal color, the blush fading away. She formed a forced smile and hugged Kareen back. "Right... just friends," she whispered, her voice trembling.

From that point on, things were never the same. Ereen felt a deep sense of sadness from the rejection and began avoiding Kareen on most days. It wasn't what she wanted, but the pain was too much to bear. Kareen, unaware of Ereen's true intentions during the confession, didn't handle the situation well. She believed Ereen was avoiding her because she didn't like her and gave her space. This only intensified Ereen's feelings, leading to a significant rift between them.

Kareen moved on and continued to be respected by her peers, while Ereen became bitter. She treated everyone with disdain and hatred, disregarding their feelings and needs. Ereen assumed everyone was out to hurt her and became a spiteful person, even to those close to her.

In the present, Ereen lies motionless in her bed, a single tear streaming down her face as memories of the past consume her. "Idiot..." she thinks to herself. Meanwhile, Kareen and Sam continue their conversation. "Anyway, I need to get back to class. Now that you have my number, text me, okay?" Kareen asserts, pointing at Sam's phone.

"Y-Yes! I'll do that," Sam responds shyly. The two share one last smile before Kareen departs from the nurses' office.