Chapter 7 - Real friends

These three simple words loop in her head multiple times. Unable to contain herself, she cries loudly, rubbing her head into Yon's chest. He sits firm, holding her close and not budging for a moment. Yon remembers a time when he was younger, a time when his sister was being haggled by an older man at the park.

Five years ago, Yon was walking home from school with Sam and Lincoln. The summer heat was rather intense that year and they were all complaining about how hot the summer sun was. Sam and Lincoln eventually raised a question to Yon he hadn't thought of that evening.

"Where is Kanna?" Sam asks him.

Sam stopped walking, and the other two did as well. The realization hit Yon, and he couldn't believe he forgot about his little sister at school.

"Oh crap! I'm sorry guys, I gotta go back to school!"

Yon panicked and took off for school. While Sam and Lincoln watched him run off, they couldn't help but be worried. Yon had made it to school in record time and started searching for his sister everywhere, but she was nowhere to be found. Yon assumed that she must have gone home on her own and started making his way back. He passed by the park that was near their house when he heard a voice, similar to his sisters. He didn't hesitate and started running towards the voice.

"Stop! Leave me alone!" The voice cries out.

"Come on, little girl, just come with me." A raspy older voice grossly retorts.

Yon could now see his sister being held by her arms by a tall older man in a hoodie. Anger consumes him and he charges forward toward the man with murderous intent.

"Stop! You're hurting me!" Kanna cried.

"Leave my sister alone you bastard!" Yon punched the man as hard as he could in the face, knocking his balance off and causing him to fall to the ground, letting go of Kanna. He fell onto a bench, cracking his head against it roughly, knocking him unconscious. Yon quickly runs over to his sister and takes her hand.

"Kanna! Are you ok? Are you hurt? Did he do anything to you?" He spurts words out quickly while analyzing Kanna for any marks.

Kanna, still surprised by what just happened, stares at the man unconscious on the ground.

"I-I'm ok big brother..." she says, a little shaken up.

Yon sighs, "Thank goodness..."

They both now look at the man, who lies on the ground, still breathing, but a small bit of blood comes from his head where he hit the bench.

"I'll call an ambulance for this loser..." Yon says while shaking his head.

Shortly after, the police and an ambulance arrived, taking care of the man and receiving a statement from the two. The police allowed them to go rather quickly, apologizing to them. They both arrived home shortly after, the two sharing a hug, their eyes filled with tears.

Yon holds Yui tightly back in the present day, her tears still flowing down her cheeks as she cries into his chest.

"Someone hurt you, but just like back then with Kanna, I can be someone to help you."

Yon holds Yui until she calms down, and after some time she pulls away and wipes away her tears, still sniffling a little. Yon looks at her, still worried.

"T-Thank you" Yui squeaks out.

Yon smiles at her and reaches his hand out, confusing Yui for a moment. He places his hand on her head and nuzzles it.

"I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to. We're friends now, after all." Yon reassures her.

This brings a smile to Yui's face, the tears subsiding. They finish up the rest of their meal and clean up before heading to class, Yui not talking her eye off Yon the entire time. Once they enter class, Lincoln and Sam both tease Yon for being gone so long and returning with a girl.

"It's not like that!" Yon frantically tries to explain the situation to them.

Neither Sam nor Lincoln listen and continue to tease him. Meanwhile, Yui takes her seat and smiles at the two bantering back and forth, comforted that she met Yon.

"OK, everyone, please quiet down! We have to talk about the upcoming school field trip." The teacher exclaims assertively.

The class gets silent with some whispers floating around about who will be with who. The teacher immediately puts a stop to it, once again silencing the class of rowdy students.

"Everyone will have assigned partners. I will pair you in groups of three. We will visit Osaka Castle Park, and be staying for three days. Pack accordingly and plan an itinerary for the second and third days, because these days will be open for you to explore the area and do as you please."

The class gets loud again with excitement as everyone talks about what they're going to do on the open days. Sam, Lincoln, and Yon excitedly discuss it, when Yon notices Yui just looking around, completely alone.

"Hey Yui!" Yon calls out.

Yui turns around, surprised, and Sam and Lincoln pause for a moment.

"What are you wanting to do on your third day?"

Yon smiles at her, as well as Sam and Lincoln, causing Yui to join in on the conversation with a smile. They all begin sharing ideas and enjoying some laughs. Yui blushes and smiles more than she ever has while talking amongst each other. Her eyes and Yon's meet for a moment, with time slowing for the two for a moment. Yon smiles at her brightly, while Yui blushes and turns her gaze away shyly.

Yui looks back at Yon, who is now in an intense conversation with Sam and Lincoln about where to go first. She stares at him passionately.

"Thank you so much, Yon."

The class goes on with normal lessons before the bell chimes for the last period. The students all get up to leave. Yui picks up her bag and is about to leave when Yon stops her.

"You want to walk with us to next period, Yui?" Yon asks with a smile on his face.

"Yeah! Join us!" Sam and Lincoln say in unison.

The three students look at Yui, all with smiles on their faces, inviting her in. Yui, surprised at how nice they all are, shakes her head gently saying "Yes" with a grin on her face and cheeks as red as a tomato. The group all head for the next period, Yui feeling happier than she has in a very long time.

"You know what we should all do!" Sam says loudly.

She stops in the middle of the hallway; the group looking at her, confused.

"We should all go shopping tomorrow for the trip!"

Everyone looks at Sam with open smiles and agrees with her, except Yui, who is standing a little distant, assuming she isn't a part of her invitation.

"You're invited too, you know?" Sam smiles at Yui, with the others joining in.

Yui looks at everyone's faces, herself now smiling and happily agreeing to come along.

They all start back to walking to the next period, discussing how tomorrow will be. What shops will they visit, what kind of food should they get, the excitement was building up in all of them, but mostly in Yui, who was just happy that people were finally talking to her, without bringing up the cruel rumor spread by her old "friends".

"So this is what real friends are like." She thinks to herself happily walking alongside Yon, Sam, and Lincoln.