Chapter 4 - Fateful encounter

The next morning, Yon woke up with the events of the previous day still fresh in his mind. "Things are going to be so awkward at school," he muttered to himself. Sitting up in bed, Yon let out a yawn and ran a hand through his messy hair. He got up, ready to face the day ahead. After a refreshing shower and brushing his teeth, he dressed up in his school uniform. Heading downstairs, he found his little sister enjoying her breakfast before school.

"Have a great day, big brother!" she called out from the kitchen. "You too, Kanna!" Yon replied with a smile. He waved her goodbye and stepped out of their home. Walking down the street, he suddenly heard a familiar voice calling out to him, just like on his first day of college.

"Yon! How's it going?" Lincoln, with his usual excitement, ran over and wrapped his arm around Yon's head, catching him off guard. "Looks like you won't have to walk to school alone!" Lincoln exclaimed cheerfully. He chuckled while slightly choking Yon in the process.

"Good to see you too, Lincoln," Yon responded, a hint of annoyance in his voice. Lincoln released his hold, grinning happily at Yon. The two of them walked together toward Utopia College, Lincoln, still pondering the previous day when Yon turned down his invitation to hang out because of Sam. Suddenly, Lincoln stopped walking, causing Yon to pause and turn around.

"Why did you stop?" Yon asked. "Yesterday, after school. You went to see Sam on the rooftop. What was that all about?" Lincoln inquired, showing an uncharacteristic interest in Yon's personal matters. Yon was taken aback by the sudden curiosity, as they had never delved into each other's personal lives before.

"It wasn't really anything significant. We just had a brief conversation... I confessed... and then I went home," Yon explained, feeling a tinge of awkwardness. Lincoln composed himself and walked over to catch up with Yon, who had gotten ahead during the pause. "Oh, I see. I thought it was something... Wait. You... confessed?" Lincoln asked, his voice filled with surprise.

Yon stopped in his tracks, wiping a bead of sweat from his forehead as Lincoln stared at him in utter disbelief. "You confessed to her?!" he screams loudly. Yon explains everything to him, and Lincoln starts to understand the situation. The two find a nearby bench on their way to school and sit down. "So you've liked her all this time, huh?"

"Yeah... unfortunately, she rejected me," Yon says in a sad tone. "Man, I had no idea," Lincoln remarks, surprised. They sit in silence for a moment before Lincoln stands up and smiles at Yon. "Well, don't let it get to you, man! She wouldn't just stop talking to her childhood friend over something silly like that, especially not her," he says reassuringly.

"You think so?" Yon stands up with Lincoln, and the two head toward school once more. "Of course! Sam isn't like that. She's very forgiving, and honestly, I'm sure she expected something like that to come out of a dense guy like you," Lincoln says jokingly. "Geez, thanks a lot," Yon responds, annoyed.

Lincoln laughs at Yon as the two enter the campus of Utopia College. They go to their lockers to exchange their shoes. Yon notices that Sam has already arrived. His anxiety briefly intensifies, but he relaxes, remembering that his sister assured him things would be okay, and Lincoln did too. They make their way into class, where Sam is already seated at her desk. Lincoln takes his seat first and smiles at Yon, who is still standing at the entryway, assuring him that it's okay.

Yon takes a deep breath and walks over to his seat. He sits down at his desk between Lincoln and Sam. They both smile at him, leaving Yon surprised that Sam is even looking at him. "Good morning, Yon. Good morning, Lincoln!" she says to the both of them.

"G-Good morning, Sam..." Yon responds nervously

"Morning, Sam!" Lincoln says enthusiastically. Yon rummages through his bag, pulling out various books for class. He notices something in his bag and pulls out the peculiar-looking piece of paper. It's the note from yesterday that Sam left him, which makes him grimace, feeling uneasy about it. Sam notices the note. "Oh, yeah! Hey, Yon, can you just forget what I wanted to talk to you about yesterday?" Sam asks.