12: Overdressed

=MIA=

"Bitch, where are you? Why aren't you answering my calls? You are so in trouble."

I set my phone down on the nightstand. I didn't end the call and let her talk. I yawned and stretched my arms to wake myself up. I sat up and stared out the window, I stayed like that for a few minutes. I can see the lovely scenery outside thanks to the glass wall in the room.

"Miaaaa! Miaaaa! Are you listening?" 

Why is her voice so loud? It's not even on speaker. I pick up my phone. "Your voice is annoying." I told her, and I heard her laugh.

"I slept at Beni's place." I added. I remember falling asleep yesterday after we ate the dinner that he made. I can tell I'm at his place because I recognize the pool below. 

"Oh, I know. He called me yesterday. Can you believe that I spoke with Bad Bunny on the phone?" she said. She must've lost her mind when he called her. 

"Then why did you ask where I was when you already knew?" I asked her as I tidied the bed.

"Just 'cause. Mom is angry that you didn't call last night, so you better start thinking of whatever excuse you'll tell her once you get back. Mom went out, so it's better if you come here at noon and bring Beni with you, because she likes him. She won't scold you if there is a guest in the house." We spoke for a few more minutes before she decided to end the call.

Before heading down, I went to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my hair. I chuckled a bit when I saw his hair. It looks like a bird's nest. He glanced back after setting the plate down on the table. I think he heard me.

"Buenos días, Bonita." He greeted with a smile. 

"Good morning." I said as I sat.

"Did you sleep well?" he asked. I nodded as I chewed on the bacon that he had cooked. He also prepared poached eggs and toasted bread.

"Why didn't you wake me?" I asked. 

"I felt bad waking you up, so I carried you to the guest room." He answered. 

After we ate, I volunteered to wash the dishes while he went to exercise in the backyard. I wanted to play in his gaming room after I finished washing the dishes, but he refused because it was apparently too early to play video games. It's already nine in the morning. It's not that early. I watch him exercise instead of playing video games. I got bored watching him.

"I'm bored." I told him while he was resting. He just completed his set of jumping jacks.

"What do you usually do after waking up in the morning?" He asked as he sits next to me. 

I recalled what I would always do back home. "I tidy my bed and wash my face. After that, I would go outside and walk to the nearest bakery in our area to buy bread, then walk back home. By the way, that is my exercise. I'll drink coffee and dip my bread in it. Have you tried that? The bread tastes so much better after dipping it in coffee. My mom won't let me clean the house because, according to her, I don't know how to clean." I said while rolling my eyes because I just remembered her scolding.

"And then?" he asked while laughing. 

"Then I would watch TV, but my mom would scold me again because she thinks I stay home a lot and should go out more. I would reluctantly go out, even though I don't have anywhere to go. I'll go to the nearest store to buy ice cream and eat it outside the store. Sometimes, I buy ice cream and bring it to Diego's house. I use the ice cream to bribe him into letting me play with his PlayStation." I chuckled when I recalled those moments.

"Diego, quien?" He asked. 

"My childhood friend and neighbor." I answered. 

"Do you usually hang out with him?" he asked and I nodded. 

"Yes, we grew up together. We also went to the same school." I said. 

"Does he have a girlfriend?" he asked. 

"Nope. He broke up with his ex-girlfriend two or three days before my flight. Speaking of Diego, he hasn't called me for three days now. Weird." I wonder what made him so busy. We usually talk every day, and even if we don't have anything to talk about, he will still call me just to ask how I am, and hang up after. Does he have a new girlfriend?

"Do you talk to him often?" he asked. 

"Yeah. We talk on the phone almost everyday ever since I got here. Beni, can we go out and drink coffee. Let's go out." I'm bored and I want to drink coffee. 

"Sure. I'll just take a bath." He said as he stood up. 

"I also want a bath." I said, standing up. 

"Want to bath together?" He asked while grinning. I faked a laugh and punched him in the arm. 

"Can I borrow a change of clothes? I don't want to wear the same clothing I wore yesterday." I said, and he agreed. We went to his room, and while he was taking a bath, he let me choose the shirt and shorts I wanted to wear.

I took a bath in the other bathroom and changed into my borrowed clothes. I didn't have to wear the same underwear I wore yesterday because I always carry a backup pair with me.

I looked at myself in the mirror after I was done changing. I've got to say, I look so good in these clothes. I tucked my white shirt into my shorts because they were too big and long for me. I paired it with yellow shorts, which look so good on me. I also tied my hair into a bun because it's hot outside.

"Benito Martinez! Let's go!" I yelled as I left the room, and when he yelled back that he was still getting dressed, I went downstairs first and put on my shoes. I stepped outside the house and took a picture of myself while I waited for him. Why does he take longer than me to change?

The door opened as I was taking a selfie of myself, and Benito came out. He halted when he saw me and said, "Ay, Mami! You look good in those clothes." He gave me a full, approving glance as he said this. He even leaned back and crossed his arms while looking at me. I chuckled at his remark.

"I do look good in your clothes. Thank you for giving these to me." I told him, and he laughed. I wanted to ask him if he could, let's say donate these clothes because I liked them and it's comfortable to wear.

He said, "You are welcome. You can have them if you want." It's good that he agreed to give them to me because I was even considering borrowing them and pretending that I had forgotten about them.

"Thanks. Are you done?" I asked. 

"Si. Vamos." he said.

I looked at his outfit and asked, "Aren't you a bit overdressed? We're only going out to get coffee." I asked while I looked at his outfit. Don't get me wrong, he looks good in that white shirt, black cargo pants, varsity jacket, and white sneakers. He is donning his hat backward and has his sunglasses on, which is a necessary piece of his attire, in my opinion. He is also wearing an expensive-looking watch.

He replied, "Nah. I look cool." He turned around and headed back inside the house as we were walking out of the gate.

"Where are you going?!" I yelled so he could hear me. 

He yelled back, "To change!" Is he really going to change just because I told him he was overdressed?

He returned in less than ten minutes, and when I saw him change out of his cargo pants for black shorts, I laughed. "Why did you change your pants?" I asked him while laughing.

"You said I was overdressed." He answered as he put his arm around my shoulder. His car is parked just outside the gate, and his driver-slash-bodyguard is waiting for us. He opened the car door for us and closed it after we went inside.