3: Idiot

=MIA=

"I need to go. Something about mi trabajo (my work)." he said.

"Awww, you're leaving? Don't leave. I won't have someone to talk to anymore." I jokingly said.

"I also don't want to, but I have to."

I'm not sure if he's acting, but he sure looks like he doesn't want to leave yet.

"I'm just kidding. Work is important. Let's go. I'll wait for my cousin outside." I told him. We both stood up and went out. I saw the guy earlier standing near a black car. It must be their ride.

"I'm guessing that's your ride?" I ask him and he nodded.

He turned to face me. "So, listen ummm before I go, can I get your number?"

Oh, wow. I've accomplish many firsts in my life in a single day. "I don't have a phone number here in the States. I just arrived yesterday, and I haven't bought a SIM card." I saw disappointment on his face when I said that. I suddenly felt guilty for not buying a SIM card the moment I arrived.

"I have Instagram." I quickly said.

"I don't have one." he said.

"Facebook?" I asked again.

"No." He answered. I don't have any other social media accounts.

"Can I give you my cousin's number? You can contact me through her number. I'll inform you once I have my number." Why does it appear as though I'm desperate to give him my contact details when it was he who asked for my number and not the other way? Pilipino nga naman.

"That's fine." he gave me his phone. Wow, his phone sure is expensive. I typed in Kayla's number and saved it under my name, then gave it back to him.

"Here you go." I told him.

"Gracias, Bonita." he said as he smiles at me.

"It was nice meeting you." I told him. We said a few words to each other before he got inside the car and drove away.

"Mia, you bitch!" I turned to look to my side and saw my cousin, "Who was that?" Kayla asked. 

"A friend?... I think." Or an acquaintance. I'm not sure.

"A friend? Really? Girl, you've only been here two days and already have a friend who is a male. I thought you're one of those good girls, but here you are flirting with someone you just met." She said with a grin. 

"I was not flirting. We were just talking." At my age, I don't even know how to flirt. Because if I did, I'd undoubtedly be dating someone by now.

"Is that so? You must have had a good time with him because I saw you laughing." She said.

Honestly, I enjoyed his company, which was quite a shocker. "I did, which is weird. Normally, my conversations with a stranger stop after two or three sentences, but we just kept talking to each other. I didn't feel pressured, awkward, or anything. It was natural, like we'd been friends for a long time." I explained, and she looked at me with a shock on her face.

"Wow, he must've been a charmer." She said while wiggling her eyebrows.

I let out a chuckle. She looked so silly. "You should've seen his face, he looks so good. He is from Puerto Rico." I told her. 

"Ooooooh~ Latino. I didn't know Latino's are your type." She said while smiling at me.

"Shut up! By the way, I gave him your number." I said and she gave me a questioning look.

"Why my number?" she asked.

"He asked for my number but I don't have a phone number yet." I explained. She lightly nudge my shoulder with a huge grin on her face.

I can already tell what she's thinking. "Look at you. It's your second day here, and some guy already asked for your number. It's gotta be that hips and that booty of yours." she says while looking down at my butt.

"If you just wore sexier clothes than this big ass shirt you're wearing right now, I'm pretty sure all the guys would turn their heads at you. What's your secret to having a big booty?" I'm flattered, but I don't like wearing revealing clothes or those skin-tight clothes. 

"Bitch, I was born this way." I jokingly said, making us laugh. I prefer to dress in comfy clothing. I'm currently sporting a black oversize t-shirt, ripped skinny jeans, and white sneakers. I also put my hair in a messy bun and applied a nude shade of lipstick. I don't use blush, foundation, or anything similar since it causes my face to itch and it makes me sweat a lot. Lipstick will do for me.

"Oh, right. We should get you a new sim card." She took me to some place where we could buy SIM card, and after that, we went on a stroll around the city. I kept gazing around and taking a closer look at anything I found fascinating because I am quite intrigued about these strange surroundings. I also took some photos to send to my family in the Philippines, and of course I uploaded some on my Instagram account.

"I still can't believe you gave my number to someone you just met. What happened to the timid Mia I know?" She asked as we sat in the shade of a tree. We stopped at a park to relax for a little and to eat some snacks we bought.

"He doesn't look like a bad guy." I answered honestly.

"Which is what a bad guy typically is. They gain your trust, and in the end, they take advantage of you. You should be careful." She said. I look at her side-eyed.

"What happened to my wild cousin? You're the one who always encourages me to loosen up and tells me to bring out my wild side or whatever." I said.

She chuckles, "I'm still here. Seriously though, don't reveal too much information unless you're sure about his character." I know that she's just worried about me, so I nodded.

"Yes Mom." I said, teasing her and she rolled her eyes at me.

"Bitch, shut up." She said. I laughed at her reaction.

"Teka paano mo pala alam na may kausap ako kanina?" I didn't see her return earlier, so how come she knew I was laughing with him?

She averts her eyes before answering, "Oh... umm... I went back quickly after meeting someone, and I saw you talking and laughing with that guy earlier. You look like you were enjoying his company, so I didn't want to interrupt. I sat outside and waited for you two to finish." She explained. "You flirt! In the three years that I didn't see you, you already knew how to flirt with a guy." she exclaimed.

"I did not. He is the one who started a conversation with me. He helped me order earlier because I started panicking 'cause my cousin took too long to come back. I got anxious when the lady asked for my order and I don't know why forgot how to order a simple meal like an idiot. He even paid for my food." I explained.

"That explains it. You got bribed, you foodie." she said.

"Hindi nga. Umalis na nga lang tayo." I said and then I stood up. 

"Whatever. Just inform your friend about your new number. I don't like reading explicit messages if its not for me." she said.

Oh, I just remembered. I'm such an idiot. "Kayla, I didn't get his number. I only gave him your number." She immediately gives me a wide-eyed stare.

"You idiot. You should've gotten his number or his Instagram or something." she said.

"He doesn't have one." I told her.

"What if he doesn't call you?" I shrugged in response.

"It's fine. It's not like I'm expecting him to call me or something." But it would be nice if he does. He looks like he would be such an amazing friend.

-----------------

Author: Guys, how is the story so far? Any comments? Suggestions?