Chapter 17

(Jane's POV)

I'm absolutely exhausted. It's been 4 days since we defeated Malekith, but it feels like the battle ended ten minutes ago.

I ended up sleeping for two days, and Darcy had to keep checking on me to make sure I was still breathing.

God knows where Thor's gone, he disappeared not long after the fight and I haven't heard from him since.

So now I'm here in my damp, crappy apartment, eating breakfast with Darcy and Erik.

"It's too quiet," I complain as I munch on cornflakes. "I don't like it, it's unsettling."

"He's gonna come back," Darcy says before lifting the bowl to her mouth to drink the leftover milk. "I mean, you know, last time he was gone for two years but whatever. He'll be back I'm sure."

"Well when you compare a few days to two years, I guess this isn't so bad."

"You say that now," she shrugs.

"Did he say anything before he left?" Selvig asks me.

"Just that he had to figure some stuff out with his dad. Said he kinda committed treason on the way out."

"What? Again?"

"Ha, yeah I guess so."

"And I suppose he has to tell him about Loki. I gotta say, as sad as it is, I'm a little relieved that he's gone."

"I get that. And me too, after what happened in New York last time it's probably for the best. It was hard to watch though."

"What was?"

"How Thor and y/n reacted to it. Thor went kinda numb to it I think, and then y/n... Oh my god. It was like a part of her died with him."

"What is it with those two?" Darcy asks as she rests her feet up on the table.

"No idea. Seems like she came to break him out of prison, then got dragged into all this with the Aether. But after he died she wanted nothing to do with us. She took my car and disappeared."

"Where to?"

"I don't know. She's just gone. Police found my car crashed into a building, but she wasn't in it."

"That's odd," Erik says, confused.

"Yeah, but grief makes us do funny things."

"Hmm. Guess so."

(Thor's POV)

I walk confidently through the hall and kneel before the throne of Odin.

"Father," I say and bow my head slightly, "It is done. Malekith is destroyed and the Earth is safe once more."

"Well done my son. I cannot say I approve of your actions, however you have fulfilled your duty as the protector of Midguard, therefore you are innocent of treason."

"Thank you Father."

"And you should know an informant told me the news of you brother."

"Yes, I'm sorry Father but I could not save him. He in fact died saving me."

"I must say, that is a surprise. For all his faults he was never considered a saviour."

"I know, however he really proved himself an honourable man."

"A man is not honourable from one action my son, though your effort to make him seem so is commendable." He stands and rests against his cane, "Do you know, you once said there would never be a wiser King than me, but you were wrong. This alignment in the Convergence has brought all the Realms together. Every one of them saw you offer your life to save them. What can Asgard offer its new King in return?"

My head lifts ever so slightly in surprise and gratitude, however I know this is not something I can accept, "Offer me my life. Father, I cannot be King of Asgard. I will protect Asgard and all the Realms with every breath I have left in me, but I cannot do so from that chair. Loki, for all his grave imbalance, understood rule as I know I never will. The brutality, the sacrifice.... it changes you. I would rather be a good man than a great King."

His head tilts slightly to one side, "Is this my son I hear, or the woman he loves?"

"When you speak, do I never hear mother's voice?"

There's an almost sad smile with a small nod.

"Father, this is me. This is not for Jane, she does not know what I came here to say. Now forbid me to see her or say she can rule at my side, it changes nothing."

"One son who wanted the throne too much, another who will not take it," he sighs. "Is this my legacy?"

"Loki died with honor, and I shall try to live the same. Is that not legacy enough?"

He sighs again, "Very well. I suppose it is your decision at the end of the day."

I nod gratefully and hold up my hammer to offer it back to him.

"It belongs to you, if you are worthy of it," he says.

My chest swells slightly with pride, "I shall try to be."

"You know, I cannot give you my blessing, nor can I wish you good fortune."

"I know, Father," I smile and rise from the ground.

"If I were proud of the man my son had become, even that I could not say. It would speak only from my heart. Go, my son," he gestures towards the door to permit me to leave.

"Thank you Father," I nod once out of respect, then turn to leave the King's hall with my trust hammer in hand.

Back to the life I was destined.