Chapter 34 - Whimsical Wanderings Of A Wordsmith

The farmer looked at the tattered scarecrow with regret. He knew that he had neglected his duty to maintain the scarecrow, and he felt guilty for leaving it to fend for itself.

As he approached, he noticed that the scarecrow was not in its usual spot. He searched the field, and eventually found it lying in a nearby ditch. He picked up the scarecrow and examined it closely, realizing just how badly it had been damaged.

Feeling a sense of responsibility for what had happened, the farmer decided to take the scarecrow back to his workshop and repair it.

He began to wonder if there was more he could do for the scarecrow, and for the other creatures that lived in his field.

Perhaps he could create the perfect environment for the scarecrow to thrive in.

---

As I was going to the cafeteria, I could hear the voices of the two people I was searching for. I actually only needed one of them, but the other one had decided to make themselves noticeable by talking even louder than usual.

"Hmm... What do you think, ace hitter Tama-chan?! Ha-ah-ah!" Minami suddenly poked Tama, who was sitting right next to her. It felt like the volume of her voice was getting louder by the second.

"Why are you being so loud?!"

"What do you mean?! This is how I usually talk!"

"No it's not!"

"It is!"

"You're acting really weird!"

"You're totally overthinking it!"

"Oh, really?!"

"Yeah!"

When I saw these two talking with each other, I almost felt I'd be a disturbance if I just barged in and interrupted their conversation

When I saw these two talking with each other, I almost felt I'd be a disturbance if I just barged in and interrupted their conversation. But I obviously realized what Minami was doing.

I did tell her not to do anything, though.

I couldn't help but sigh. This girl just wouldn't listen to me.

Without any regard for the oncoming awkwardness that was sure to ensue, I approached the two with my own canteen tray. It contained my usual choice of cheap yakiniku and white rice. I was a simple man.

"Can I sit here?" I asked, standing right in front of them. If I sat down right now, I'd be facing Tama directly.

When Minami sensed me approaching, she readily turned her entire body to me. Her strained smile was obvious. She probably realized I'd ask her later to explain herself.

Tama was big eyed. Me approaching her of my own accord was one of the unlikeliest things she expected.

"A-Ah! Yeah, you can totally sit there! Right, Tama-chan?!" Minami hugged her arm. "You and I are together all the time even though we're total opposites! No one can get in-between our love anyway!"