Chapter 4 - Ode To Opposites

The presence approached the bluebird.

It came closer and closer.

The bluebird opened its eyes. It saw the enveloping darkness, and ever so slightly felt like it was being lifted upwards.

Yes. None other than the crow itself had come back to save it.

But the bluebird was still confused.

"Why did it come back?"

"It's dangerous in this storm, isn't it?"

"I don't understand! It's completely nonsensical!"

But the crow ignored all of the bluebird's complaints, and simply carried it gently in its wings.

It was struck by debris, by turbulent winds, even by lightning, but it flew forth nevertheless.

The bluebird was awed by the crow's enormous strength.

Finally, after a while, the crow spoke its first words.

"You really are a piece of work."

---

"What are you doing?" I said once I caught sight of Mimimi sitting alone on a couple of stairs leading down.

The instant she noticed me, Mimimi grabbed her scarf—it had already become quite chilly—wrapped it around herself, pulled her legs close to her body, crossed her arms and buried the lower half of her face in her knees. Finally, she shot a glare my way that seemed to say, "Leave me alone!"

That beautiful, well-groomed, flaxen hair was always silky smooth and lustrous

That beautiful, well-groomed, flaxen hair was always silky smooth and lustrous. Her lightly tanned thighs still looked soft, as if they had been toned through all the various physical exercises she went through during her time in the track and field club. From her shapely nose and large eyes rimmed with long eyelashes to her delicate, dewy pink lips that were hidden, every part of her looked like it had been carefully sculpted by the practiced hand of a true master.

Yes, this was definitely Mimimi. No doubt about it.

Thus, when I caught sight of her looking lost in thought and all alone, drowning in her own despair without anyone around to offer comfort, I couldn't help but stop and stare, wondering what she might be thinking and feeling.

The solemn mood surrounding her was heavy enough to deter any onlookers, sending anyone scurrying home. But she was still there, sitting all by herself on some steps between the station that lead to her home and our school, Sekimoto High.