SS - First Birthday

A story from Ayanokōji Kiyotaka's second year outside the White Room...

---

"Matsuo, why are we going to a bookstore?"

Indeed, the old man walking beside this child was none other than Matsuo, the caretaker of Kiyotaka. In some eyes he'd be seen as something even more, although he would beg to differ.

"Hm?" Matsuo tilted his head, but with a smile on his face. The wrinkles on his forehead and cheeks showed his age, but also told a story of their own. "I thought you like to read, Kiyotaka?"

"I do, but is that really your only reason for going there?"

"Hahaha." Matsuo couldn't hold back a few chuckles and followed his desires by laying his hand on top of Kiyotaka's head. 

"Please, at least let me indulge you today."

"Today...?"

"Look, we're already there."

As Matsuo said that, he stretched out his right arm and pointed to a small, inviting store in front of them. While Kiyotaka did have some lingering suspicions in his mind, he probably wasn't aware of the fact that this bookstore was a favourite of his caretaker.

Why is that, exactly? How can a bookstore become someone's favourite? What are the ideal features that cause one to think in such a way? Of course, it's hard indeed to have all of the features everyone wants, since the "ideal" varies from person to person.

But to Matsuo, the most important aspect to a bookstore is not just about the books that are in the selection—no bookstore or library is complete after all—so it's not about selection, it's about feeling comfortable and feeling at home, a feeling that almost all major chain stores lack. Bookstores shouldn't be a place where you just go in to pick up one book, it should be a place where you want to stay in for hours, browse and generally enjoy the environment. 

Walls covered by soothing colors could be relaxing. Some nice carpet and comfortable and fluffy chairs could be helpful. The smell of coffee brewing or tea steaming would be great. If there is no coffee or tea, there should at least be some nice scented candles. Some soothing white noise in the background (Ocean, Rain, Waterfall...) or maybe some classical music would be delightful. Nothing overbearing, of course. Even a small amount of dust is not entirely unwelcome. It would be great if the store has a distinct sense of place; if it's in Charing Cross Road, you would know you are in London or if it's in Boulevard Saint-Michel, it should fairly shout, "You're in Paris!"

In Matsuo's mind, there was one word that described the "ideal bookstore:"

Cozy.

And besides, the people working there know me, so we should be able to slowly enjoy our time there, he thought as he looked at Kiyotaka next to him.

"Should we go in?" he asked the child.

"...Sure," Kiyotaka said with visible apprehension in his voice. You couldn't blame him for being suspicious; he had never experienced an ounce of true kindness.

---

"So, which one do you like?"

"Hm..."

Kiyotaka carefully examined the book he was holding in his hands: "And Then There Were None," by Agatha Christie. 

"Do you like mystery novels?"

"They're interesting, but I've already read this one. I just wanted to take a look because I thought it had an interesting cover."