Chapter 26 - Turning Tides Swallowing Forgotten Feelings

The piggie who gave up returned home. Not with victory in hand, but only with a bitter sadness. One that would make even the sun feel cold.

However, she had a piggie sibling left. And the perfect piggie knew she couldn't disappoint those she cared about.

With a smile on her face, she tried to pretend that everything was okay.

That she wasn't hurt.

That the disappearance of a family member was nothing to cry about.

But that was exactly where reality distorted just a tiny bit.

From now on, she could only pretend. Pretend so much, that at some point, she had to pretend that she was pretending.

It went on like this, and an ever growing emptiness grew inside her chest.

The void couldn't be filled any more, and the perfect piggie knew.

The brilliance of that day had been burned into the deepest recesses of her mind.

---

"Now that was a match!"

"Ha-ha-ha, yeah, that was so exciting to watch!"

The final match between me and Hinami was over, but I didn't celebrate like everyone else. I just sat listlessly, staring at the screen. In big letters it read "VICTORY FOR P1."

Victory, huh? Ironic.

"Also, you're amazing, Aoi-san."

"Ah-ha-ha. Thank you!" Hinami gracefully accepted the compliment Harry threw her way.

"Seriously, you're a star in the Atafami universe to give nanashi-kun that much of a run for his money!"

"Thanks," she said, downtrodden. "But... in the end, I still lost." She couldn't hide the regret in her voice. I beat her 3-1 to take first place, so it wasn't like Hinami stood no chance. She was a fairly difficult opponent to play against.

I wish you would have won, so I could rest.

"Ha-ha-ha. Better luck next time," Harry said

"...Hmph." I felt Hinami turn to me. "Listen, nanashi-kun! Next time, I'll get better and—"

"Hm? Why did you just stop mid-sentence?"

"It's just...," she said, lowering her face. "Ah-ha! You're still staring at your victory screen to rub it in my face, aren't you?!" She overexaggerated her voice and showed me a strained smile. It was like she was asking me if something was wrong in her own way.

"...You got me," I said and stood up, facing the crowd that watched our match. In there, I could see Rena with a mysterious gaze fixated on me.

"That was a really great match," I said, doing my best to imitate Hinami's gestures and expressions.

"Thank you for playing, nanashi-san!" Harry said excitedly. "Thanks to you and Aoi-san, that stream went great! Chat couldn't believe nanashi's first live game was with Wigglypoff, but in general, everyone really enjoyed it! Some people were asking who Aoi is. Got some new subs, too. You guys are awesome!"

I'm not sure how to exactly take the fact I was being used to make someone else money, but I guess it's fine considering that he set up this event in the first place.