Chapter 31 - Rebirth Of A Renewed Resolution

The scarecrow and the farmer.

Two different entities, yet bound to work towards the same fate.

The scarecrow helps the farmer, yet the farmer neglects the scarecrow.

It was a relationship between the one who gives, and the one who takes.

In other words, it was not an equal relationship. There was an invisible hierarchy.

At least, that's what it would have looked like from the scarecrow's perspective.

After all, it had been given the greatest gift of all. One so fundamental, it was overseen by practically everyone.

Yes, it was the gift given to every being walking on the same earth. We all took it for granted.

The scarecrow had been born from the farmer's hands.

---

"...Minami, what do you mean?"

I wasn't sure if this was part of Minami's usual antics or if she had simply decided to break the ice with some unexpected question. This was her we were talking about. I couldn't very well predict the thought process of someone so carefree. Either way, talking was better than being left in silence. It would also help to calm Minami, who'd been in a panicked state thus far.

In a voice so low that it could've been missed, as if she had been thinking to herself, Minami muttered something.

"What is... the White Room?"

I wondered what kind of conversation would result from this situation, but the words that came out were far too unexpected and completely diverged from some of the assumptions I had floating around. 

Why, out of everyone, would Nanami Minami ever utter the words "White Room"?

For a moment, Yagami's image flashed through my mind. I'm sure there were some situations where he'd contacted the student council and talked with Minami. They were probably getting to know each other through such ways, and they may even cooperate on certain events in the future. But I don't think either Yagami or Amasawa would easily talk about those important matters. They knew the risks involved and what kind of consequences would come about if they ever did decide to reveal the truth.

After quickly recomposing myself, I instantly realized the reasoning behind her question.

Minami had been threatened by Yagami while she was unconscious. Well, at least I thought so. I was hoping she wouldn't wake up but—unbeknownst to me—she may have overheard parts of our conversation. I wouldn't be surprised if she had picked up the words "White Room" from that encounter.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"Is... Is that so? Maybe I misheard something, but..."

Minami's words suddenly stopped under the cold sky. She then let out a breath. I wasn't sure if she completely believed my answer.

Just to be sure, it would be better if I planted some ideas myself.

"Where did you hear those words?"

I cut in to divulge that it was something I had no recollection of. 

If she didn't answer honestly, that was enough to stop me from pursuing the matter.