Chapter X: Internal Nightmares

Start from the beginning

      As the hands drew further away, my strength returned, and I found myself running after them, but they were too far for me to reach and disappeared.

      The dream shifted again. This time it displayed a quick succession of scenes.

      In the next scene, I saw the same dream I've occasionally had since I was 16. My parents were standing together, both smiling with tears in their eyes. Their mouths were moving, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Then they were engulfed in a bright light. From a distant point of view, there was a giant mushroom cloud, like a nuke had gone off. In the next flash, I stood in a room that looked like a waiting area in some hospital. There were multiple dismembered bodies on the floor, some bent over counters, and some even stuck in walls as if they were thrown there by something very strong. Blood was splattered everywhere, broken lights flickered on and off, and slashed marks were on the walls, the floor, and even halfway through some people's torsos. It was as if a monster had come in and slaughtered everyone.

      A thick, pungent, metallic scent made my stomach turn.

      I quickly identified the scent as blood. There was so much of it coming from the bodies, floors, and walls that its smell was now easily discernable.

      I looked around at the lifeless eyes of the victims. They all seemed so real but were people I'd never met.

      How could I conjure up a nightmare like this? This was the horrific aftermath of a massacre at a hospital of all places.

      The following scene wasn't much better.

      A large crumbling building was half sunken into the ground, with lava pooling from the hole. I could see arms desperately waving from multiple windows and hear the victim's cries as the ceilings in their rooms caved in.

      After their screams went silent and their bloody arms went still, I felt my eyes heat with tears.

      Why was I dreaming these horrible things? I would never wish anything like this on anyone, so why am I dreaming about it?

      As I cried, more scenes flashed, but they were too fast for me to register.

      Suddenly, the flashes stopped for a split second, and I saw a weird planet that was split in half before the dream shifted to a white room.

      There was nothing in the room except a white sofa, a white lamp, and a white TV mounted on the wall.

      Sitting on the sofa was a being that I literally couldn't describe. It was like invisible wavy matter was there with a humanoid shape.

      The figure's head turned toward me.

      "Lisa! You finally made it," it spoke.

      Its voice was neither masculine nor feminine, yet it had subtle hints of both. Just like the voice from earlier...

      The figure got up from its seat and walked towards me. It stopped before reaching me and tilted its head. It must've seen the bewildered look on my face.

      "Sorry it's been so long. I've forgotten humans can't perceive most forms of energy."

      The figure morphed into a middle-aged woman with long brown hair wearing a long blue dress and a silver jacket. She looked like an aunt.

      "If this form is uncomfortable for you, I can become male or whatever you find comfortable. Would you like for me to change," it asked me. "Oh, and you can call me Viraa...."

      The next moment I was abruptly waking up. Without wasting a second, I got out of bed, rushed to the bathroom, and began vomiting into the toilet.

      One hell of a way to start my morning.

      After five minutes of retching, I went to the sink and brushed my teeth. I thought back on everything I'd dreamt about; the flaming figure, the victims in the hospital, the victims in the crumbling building, my parents...

      That was the weirdest and most disturbing dream I've ever had, I thought to myself.

      Unfortunately, Lisa, those weren't dreams.

      Hearing the voice again caught me off guard, making me accidentally swallow my mouthwash and cough uncontrollably.

      After drinking some water and controlling my breathing, the coughing stopped, but now I had a weird sting in my throat.

      I sighed heavily.

      So, someone is living in my head. Great. It's not like I didn't have enough problems as it was.

      "It's Viraa, right," I asked. I really wanted to freak out, but what would be the point? I just had to figure out what's going on first.

      Correct. Viraa answered.

      "I see you stuck with the female form," I mentioned.

      If it makes you more comfortable, I can change to one of your preference.

      "No, no, that's fine. Just, um...who are you exactly? And why are you in my head? Oh, and what did you mean about my dreams not being dreams?"

      You will receive the answers you're looking for in due time. I promise. But for now, I believe breakfast is ready.