41. Consort

To be honest this is the last ch. I'm bored to write so thank u all for your precious time.

Joking.

I love writing. Who said April's fools day is only on 1st.

Read the note in the end. You are in for a treat!!

Anyway. Enjoy...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"Oh, come on!" Duke said laughing, from his horse. "It's not that difficult."

"You say that when it is your first time." I let out a huff as I tried my best to stay upright on this beast. "He looked beautiful in the stables."

The horse lets out a huff similar to Duke's as if I am the one who is hopeless in this situation.

"I did teach you before we started this trek." He chuckled, making me narrow my eyes at him while holding the reins tight. "It's not my fault that you are making a mess over him."

I let out a sigh looking around the dark forest. Yesterday was my sixteenth birthday and Duke's mother going over the notch and gifted me a horse. I don't even know how to ride this animal in the first place!

About the next twenty minutes, I was okay, the horse was walking properly. Maybe he was nervous because this is his first time too. Yeah, I doubt that. Maybe Duke was right, but I am not going to confess that in front of him.

"You know." I said to him, "I think he is listening to me now." Both the horses and Duke gave a huff making me almost furrow my brows. It's just coincidental that they are able to understand our conversations.

Maybe they have a sixth sense of human language.

"More like you starting to grasp how it is in real life." He chuckles. "It is not that easy as it is written in your books, you know."

"Oh shush," I flicked my hand over him for a second before holding the reins back tightly. "Don't say anything to my precious books. Though, it does seem harder to ride one in real life."

He gave me a side glance, smirking making me go all red.

"You!" I was left there baffled. "Don't give me that look you gutter-minded maggot."

He laughs like he just didn't think about what I had said.

"Your words, not mine, Ava." He gives me a teasing smile. "Not that I know anything of riding, you would be experienced in that."

I gave him a glair and I wished I had something to throw at him.

"You know with all the teasing you have been torturing me my entire life, I don't think you will be able to keep a single wife for more than six months."

Something crossed Duke's face, almost sad and hesitant but he was quick to mask it before I even blinked, giving me another teasing look.

"Well, you stayed."

"It takes years of practice." I held my chin high as if making some point. "Now, tell me Mr. Duke, what will you do when you drive all the women to madness with your teasing torture?"

"Well then," He doesn't leave my gaze. "I'll be forced to marry you, wouldn't I?"

I gulped. That was no tease, no humor in those words. My heart thumped faster when a second passed by and he still didn't laugh or joke, keeping his eyes on mine.